Scary thought- i7 overclock

Soldato
I just wondered whether i've possibly damaged my chip in some way due to keeping it at a 1.31 vcore since october? May sound a bit stupid i know as its apparently well within safe volts, but i've seen someone with a much lower vcore and its the same batch number as mine. At the moment it refuses to go any lower than 1.3v in the bios and remain stable. I've seen C0 steppings at that voltage :S Having said that would the motherboard be a limiting factor in all this?

Caporegime
It'll be fine AMD's 45nm chips run at 1.35-1.4V stock as proof of that, heat is your main problem when it comes to i7.

Associate
It'll be fine AMD's 45nm chips run at 1.35-1.4V stock as proof of that, heat is your main problem when it comes to i7.

You can't use that as a safe comparison... AMD chips can run at 1.5v on air if you overclock, but put an i7 at that, and you seriously risk burning it out.

AMD and Intel use different manufacturing methods, so the voltages they take are really different. Intels use less volts, but are always hotter... Doesn't seem to make sense, but thats how it is.

Anyway.. as mentioned, 1.3v on an i7 is fine as long as you keep within temperature. It's not what your voltage is at, its at what temperature you keep it at that voltage, if it makes sense.

Low volts + high temp = fine
High Volts + low temp = fine
high volts + high temp = burn

Caporegime
You can't use that as a safe comparison... AMD chips can run at 1.5v on air if you overclock, but put an i7 at that, and you seriously risk burning it out.

If AMD could ship their Phenom's with a 1.2V core voltage they would do, it doesn't necessarily mean that the die is intolerant to high voltages.

I've seen plenty of i7's on XS forums running at 1.4V (even 1.5V) and there are few (if any) reports of high vcore itself killing a chip.

I wouldn't recommend it though for two reasons, 1.. most i7's are stable at over 4ghz at around 1.3v core so it's not necessary and 2... they kick out a shedload of heat due to hyperthreading etc.

That said if you put 2v through a 45nm chip it will kill it fairly quickly regardless of temperature.

Back
Top Bottom