Jobs

Associate
Leaving uni this year but at this rate I'm only going to be able to achieve a 2:2 which won't get me into any top corporate companies. I was just wondering what you guys/gals do and if you're all happy in your positions. Money isn't everything is it :( How much would you say is a good enough salary to survive comfortably in the UK i.e bills and stuff with a bit left for treating yourself?

Soldato
It's not the end of the world. I didn't get on a corporate grad scheme and am now (2 years on) earning a very healthy salary with a team of new grads reporting to me.

Soldato
Put a bit of effort in and you'll be fine. Make sure you apply for jobs early and don't give up.

The company I work for now would never have recruited me as a grad. If you're desperate to work for a faceless corporate then it's possible to sneak in the back door with a couple of years of experience.

Soldato
What nice mates you have!

Another Desmond here - no problems :)

I'm in a pretty good place and could work up should I want to - but I'm about to escape and go start a PGCE come Autumn :D

To be honest, maybe the 2:2 was indicative of my not-being-cut-out for electronic engineering anyway ...

Associate
Was like this when I left university. I think when you're at uni its comforting to know what you'll be doing, this is where the grad schemes come in.. It all planned out for you pretty much.

Not having that plan, things are a lot more open to what and how you want to do things. Which I admit is probably quite daunting.

Soldato
got a desmond, (2:2)

started on £16k in 2002, doing accountancy training
now x years on, doing good market risk management for large Oil company, with a move into trading soon. (needless to say cash is better)

its much more about who you are than how good your piece of paper is.

Man of Honour
I've got a 2:2 and I'm doing OK (hold on I also have an MBA - you're doomed:p)

Seriously, do the best you can and just get on with it. After a couple of years your experience is much more important than your grade ever was.

Back
Top Bottom