@coin experts: valuable coins

Soldato
What is a good source of information about rare coins that are currently in circulation? I've heard tell of some coins with a very rare tail, and a few with minting errors. I'm just after a quick point of reference to bookmark whenever I get a coin I've not seen before, and to know what minting errors to look out for.

I'm a complete coin layman and just spent half an hour working out that the £1 with the millennium bridge is not valuable.

Edit: And this totally isn't GD. Mod please.

Last edited:
Associate
I collect £2 and 50p's with the different designs (ie, not just a normal 50p or £2!). I have a couple of dolphin 50p's which are meant to be worth more and about £30 worth of £2 coins where the queen is wearing a necklace. I've got just over £300 worth of coins at face value now, god knows if they are worth more to a proper collector!

There is meant to be a dalek 50p that is worth quite a bit.

Soldato
I collect £2 and 50p's with the different designs (ie, not just a normal 50p or £2!). I have a couple of dolphin 50p's which are meant to be worth more and about £30 worth of £2 coins where the queen is wearing a necklace. I've got just over £300 worth of coins at face value now, god knows if they are worth more to a proper collector!

There is meant to be a dalek 50p that is worth quite a bit.

I've had a fair few £2 coins with the necklace and spent them. I did notice that they were different to normal ones but never really thought that they were worth something.

I thought, if I've managed to get one then there must be 1000's in circulation and worth nowt :p

Soldato
I've had an unstamped £2 coin before.

Very weird. Some milling on the edge but the centre was flat and smooth with a little dip where the metal sections met. The outer section was also plain but had the raised rim on the edge.

Could be fake but making fake £2 coins must be a git to do compared to £1 coins.

Associate
have 7x £2 coins with different backs on them, didn't even know they made different ones.

also got some £2 coins from 1986, they are the same size as the normal £2 but no silver middle. dont know if i can spend em tho :/

Soldato
I know a fair bit as I sell them for a living. The best reference I know of are the Spinks guides. They release them annually. I tend not to deal much with modern circulating coinage though....but rare guineas or sovereigns and I'm your man.

Back
Top Bottom