• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth having a second card as Physx?

Associate
I may be acquiring a free 8800gtx off of a friend soon which would be taking my 8800gt's place as my main card which means my 8800gt would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing, then I remembered about this Physx thing.
I have a P55A-UD3 which has a second PCI-E slot at x4. Would it be worth it installing my 8800gt as physx in this slot? It wouldn't cost me anything so any performance upgrade would be a bonus! What kind of differences in games would I be seeing? Any difference in GTA4?

Cheers :)

Man of Honour
PhysX is fine on even 1x PCI-e - but unless you play batman AA theres simply nothing out atm that really needs it.

GTA4 does not use PhysX.

Last edited:
Associate
So the general conscensus is that it's pointless? :p
If you really want it then you can have it. But generally probably is pointless. There's no saying what games may use it in the future though so you can either hang on and hope or sell it. not sure what it's worth though as I'm barely knowledgable about nvidia card prices.

Permabanned
I may be acquiring a free 8800gtx off of a friend soon which would be taking my 8800gt's place as my main card which means my 8800gt would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing, then I remembered about this Physx thing.
I have a P55A-UD3 which has a second PCI-E slot at x4. Would it be worth it installing my 8800gt as physx in this slot? It wouldn't cost me anything so any performance upgrade would be a bonus! What kind of differences in games would I be seeing? Any difference in GTA4?

Cheers :)

Sell both, and get a noticeable upgrade instead.

Associate
OP
The 8800gt is not really worth selling. I'd rather keep it as a spare card than sell it as my only other PCI-E card at the moment is a knackered 7900gt, and the 8800gtx is being given to me for free, so I can't really sell that :p

Associate
There may not be many titles that use Physx, But I think we will see an increase over the next year or two.
Like other things in the PC world, it takes time to develop.
I don't know why people are so quick to rubbish Physx, when it is there in a game it add's another level of reality - isn't that what were all after in a game?!?
If its a free card get it, shove it in and use it.
For Batman alone is worth it.
Just my humble opinion.

Associate
I've got a similar setup! GTX260 + 8800GT as PhysX. Both cards now run at x8 bandwidth since thats how my board works, and i will admit i've seen no real difference in any games.

You most likely won't notice any difference, as the 8800GT ran PhysX, and you're still going to have PhysX with the new setup. Wasting power is one side to this, but the other is that if you play a game without PhysX, you'll have an entire graphics card dedicated to the game, rather than some of your shader cores being sidelined to run PhysX that isn't there. As far as I'm aware, the shader cores set aside for PhysX don't get used when a game doesn't use PhysX.

Soldato
There may not be many titles that use Physx, But I think we will see an increase over the next year or two.
Like other things in the PC world, it takes time to develop.
I don't know why people are so quick to rubbish Physx, when it is there in a game it add's another level of reality - isn't that what were all after in a game?!?
If its a free card get it, shove it in and use it.
For Batman alone is worth it.
Just my humble opinion.

Yeah we'll see an increase by about 1 or 2 :D

Fact is a fractional percentage of games are supported now and also in the future.

Soldato
I too thought about using my old 8600GT as a Physx card but reading up on the web the gains are very little and very few games utilise it, so in a nutshell not worth the extra noise, heat and power it requires.

Soldato
Just youtubed some Batman physx videos to what it's all about. So the pinnacle of human endeavour in computer science, 3D rendering, real-time physics simulation gives us...

...dynamic paper!

LOL:p;)

Back
Top Bottom