• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 'Budget' Graphics Card?

Soldato
I have a old(ish) AMD 3200 (2.0GHz) CPU & S939 Motherboard, coupled with 2GB of PC3200 RAM.

Obviously not the fastest personal computer going, but it runs well in a nice new box and a nice new psu and other bits (DVDRW / HDD).

At the moment I have a PCI-E 512Mb 8400GS which is a powerless card. Not very giving with the games I want to play.

Which of the budget cards available now, today at OcUK would be right for me?

I want to re-play Battlefield 2, and COD 1 and if the card can, continue playing COD2.

I don't expect to be playing at a resolution over 1440 or whatever, so which can offer the best performance for less than £100 ?

Thanks for any input!

Soldato
Something like a HD4650/HD4670 would be perfect for this computer. Quick enough to plow through the games you want to play, whilst not quick enough to make your CPU become a bottleneck.

You should be able to get one for around £50-60.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-184-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1274

There is also the HD4730/HD4770 for a little over £70 which would offer a decent performance boost over the HD4670 however I don't know how much your cpu would bottleneck it (this isn't a guess, I genuinely don't).

Soldato
OP
Hi fox just a quick question, how much power do you have in your power supply.

A brand new 500w PSU, only have it in the mobo - hdd - dvdrw to power it, so plenty I would have thought?

Also, the A3200 is highly overclockable, being the RAM which will present the problem, but I recon I could get a lot more juice out of the CPU.

Soldato
I put a GT 240 512mb (£61 from here) in a PC the other day and I was very impressed with what it could do. It would play many new games at med-high settings at a good frame rate. No extra power connector. 3Dmark06 7700

Associate
What resolution is your monitor? some "budget" cards will only play games at decent settings at a low resolution due to a shortage of shader/stream/CUDA cores.

Something like a 4670 would be good. or on the other end of the spectrum, an nvidia 8800GT is one of the better value cards out there. (yes, i know. nvidia isn't good value at all any more, but the 8800GT is still up there!)

Back
Top Bottom