Front Panel HD Light Changed Colour

Associate
Just finished my first build, intalled OS and all is running well, but one thing is puzzling me, the front panel HD activity light, which used to be blue before I gutted the case of MB and drives for upgrades, is now red for disk activity?

How come? I thought I might have wired the pins wrong but it doesn't look like I have.

I updated motherboard from Asus P5VD2-MX to P5Q Deluxe, Hard drives from Maxtor 200gb to Seagate 1T and WD Caviar Black 1T, and added new processor Pentium 2 Duo. No Raid configured.

Any idea? :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can't change the colour of an LED by wiring it differently, it's only ever capable of one colour. Are you sure you've not used a different case LED from the one you used previously? What colour's your power LED now compared to before?

Soldato
^ untrue. I had a 939 motherboard, ram and processor in my Antec Sonata 2 case. I stuck a 775 board, ram and processor in there and the power light has changed from green to amber

Associate
For regular LEDs, Rpstewart is correct, they can only emit a single colour. However, there are so called bicoloured LEDs, which are two LEDs in one package. The polarity of connection will determine which LED is illuminated. They are often found on TVs, to indicate whether the TV is on or in standby mode.

Recheck your wiring, and try reversing the polarity of this LED package.

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished my first build, intalled OS and all is running well, but one thing is puzzling me, the front panel HD activity light, which used to be blue before I gutted the case of MB and drives for upgrades, is now red for disk activity?

How come? I thought I might have wired the pins wrong but it doesn't look like I have.

I updated motherboard from Asus P5VD2-MX to P5Q Deluxe, Hard drives from Maxtor 200gb to Seagate 1T and WD Caviar Black 1T, and added new processor Pentium 2 Duo. No Raid configured.

Any idea? :confused:

What make is the case and if you unplug the HD led, how many wires ?
If only two then there is no way it can change color, if three then maybe you connected 2 out of three that were not connected before.

Associate
OP
i just closed the case door. now you cant see the lights. problem solved!

Lol, yes that's kind of what I've done, but everytime I open the door and see that red light I go all funny inside.

My main concern was that it was red for a warning, but all seems well so guess I will have to live with it :)

Last edited:
Associate
Lol, yes that's kind of what I've done, but everytime I open the door and see that red light I go all funny inside.

My main concern was that it was red for a warning, but all seems well so guess I will have to live with it :)

If you say what case it is then maybe we would know if the led was two color or not.
If there are only two wires then there is no way it can change from blue to red.

Associate
...if you unplug the HD led, how many wires ?
If only two then there is no way it can change color...

Two lead bi- (and tri-) colour LEDs are very common nowadays. There are two diodes in the one bulb connected in antiparallel, and colour selection depends on current direction (the third colour on twin lead tri-colour units is obtained by rapidly switching between the two actual colours and relying on persistance of vision to give the appearance of a third).

So it's at least possible that a change in motherboard has resulted in a change in current flow direction to the HD LED, even if the OP has connected it in the same way as before. Not sure if that's the case here, but it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom