*** Official Mass Effect 2 Thread ***

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It took me about 40 hours to complete and I didnt explore all the systems. Running through it a second time now as a Renegade Sentinal as opposed to a Paragon Soldier.

Soldato
It seems to me that there are far fewer missions acquired for talking to random people, I supposed this has been balanced with the planet scanning 'anomalies' missions but still, I liked the feeling of travelling the galaxy righting wrongs and solving problems

when i first started playing mass effect 1 it took me a while getting into it.
at first it just seemed too big a game..getting used to the game, the controls, all the places to go, the upgrading..all these weapons..yet it ended up being 1 of if not my favourite (sp) game of all time.

now i love the graphics of mass effect 2 but it just seems so much more restricted..dumbed down..consolized(is that even a word?).

i bring up a map yet i cant place a marker...so i walk and now when i try and bring up the same map i get an arrow pointing to tell me where to go instead.

i try and pull my gun out(prepare for combat) but now all of a sudden it isnt allowed until its spotted the enemies.

even though the places are more populated the places seem smaller and less rewards for exploration as its usually a straight(ish) route to your obj(slight exagg) and the rest is blocked off.

combat has changed...now instead of long fire fights and using your powers every once in a while to change the balance ....you seem to have to fight with your powers sometimes more than with your guns as YOU WILL run out of ammo with your preferred weapon....and talking of guns where have they all gone ?

upgrading from earned experience was great as it happened quite often with about 10 different areas and 12 levels...now i get 4 levels with just a few different areas ?

now im not very far into the game and it will probably get better but from first impressions its a quite a bit of a let down...maybe because i only just finished mass effect 1 a few days ago and it seems too different to me.

That's quite a fair observation to me, I agree with what you're saying, especially the placement of very obvious cover for the obviously impending fight, when you hit the checkpoint.

When I played ME1 my aim was to do everything (I can't help it in RPG game) I'm looking to do the same in ME2 but I don't feel like I'm achieving as much, maybe it's the lack of weapon and upgrade 'drops' or the lack of weapon loadout customisation, I can't place my finger on it.
Personally I liked the feel of exploration and freedom and discovery given by using the Mako on the planets, maybe having the shuttle taking you straight into the action is what has altered my perception of the game.

I think ME2 is a very good game, but they seem to have removed a couple of game elements, that I enjoyed, seemingly in the name of streamlining the game and not holding you back from running into the story.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would've said 5, given that thats how many you needed for the achievement, but it seems Bioware did an extremely good job at dumbing down achievements so console-tards wouldn't whine about actually having to play to get them. After all, compare the 'Get all Citidel Alien Races Codex entries' (whatever it was)in my ME1 to the 'Get 15 new entries' in ME2.

I do wish they'd given the weapons more indepth stats... it just feels so dumbed down not knowing what the base stats were for weapons so i have no idea how much of an improvement an upgrade or a new gun has actually given me. Its even more annoying that the only indication of what an armour improves is at the bottom of the entry, so you have to keep scrolling down manually (since they didn't bother including Mouse Wheel support) on half the armour pieces only to find out what it does is next to nothing (+3% Shields? I mean seriously).

Associate
console-tards

Can we please stop with this drivel already? Other than that I agree with everything you said.

I think I did around 7 anomaly missions on my playthrough, probably a few more to be found. There are 4 star maps to be purchased in Ilium. Those are the only ones I found actually, are there any more of them?

Soldato
Can we please stop with this drivel already? Other than that I agree with everything you said.

I think I did around 7 anomaly missions on my playthrough, probably a few more to be found. There are 4 star maps to be purchased in Ilium. Those are the only ones I found actually, are there any more of them?

If not them then who? Can't think of anyone else responsible for excess whining about how achievements would be too hard so they actually have to try for Gamerscore. Its common place that a lot of achievements for games are for playing it through and some are for more difficult things, but 98% of achievements for ME2 is laughably easy to obtain. A little research will get you through the Suicide Mission without deaths so thats not hard, only 1 that even approaches hard is finish the game on Insanity.

Soldato
Well if you want to suggest that the achievements are dumbed down, this is the fault of the general Mass Effect community, not just the 'console-tards'. Read the forum posts from when ME1 was released and visit the forum now. It's full of people whining about how the game is completely crap, broken and too hard/easy not enough side boob etc.

Plus the devs themselves said they wanted to reduce grind in achievements (kill 50 of x) and also get rid of achievements that force you into a play style (the ally achievements for example).

Associate
Well if you want to suggest that the achievements are dumbed down, this is the fault of the general Mass Effect community, not just the 'console-tards'. Read the forum posts from when ME1 was released and visit the forum now. It's full of people whining about how the game is completely crap, broken and too hard/easy not enough side boob etc.

Plus the devs themselves said they wanted to reduce grind in achievements (kill 50 of x) and also get rid of achievements that force you into a play style (the ally achievements for example).

Exactly this. And to be fair, I would wager the vast majority of people couldn't give a damn about achievements in the first place, so to place the blame on console users for the dumbed down achievements is just silly.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I am sure there is something ironic in blaming consoles for the dumbing down of acheivements when the presence of acheivements is pretty much due to consoles anyway. :)

Soldato
Perhaps, then again killing x of y isn't an achievement, it just happens, but if thats the case they failed miserably with the 'Disrupt x shields' and 'Incerinate x Armour' and 'Shoot x foes after meleeing'. So i fail to see how that statement can hold water. I can see why they replaced Ally achievements with 'Gain' and 'Loyalty', but seriously? 15 Codex entries? You can get that while sleeping. And if there are 19 'anomoly' missions, only requiring 5 for the achievement is a joke, you should be requiring all 19. If someone defines that as grinding they should go back to playing Snake, i call it 'playing the content'.

Associate
Perhaps, then again killing x of y isn't an achievement, it just happens, but if thats the case they failed miserably with the 'Disrupt x shields' and 'Incerinate x Armour' and 'Shoot x foes after meleeing'. So i fail to see how that statement can hold water. I can see why they replaced Ally achievements with 'Gain' and 'Loyalty', but seriously? 15 Codex entries? You can get that while sleeping. And if there are 19 'anomoly' missions, only requiring 5 for the achievement is a joke, you should be requiring all 19. If someone defines that as grinding they should go back to playing Snake, i call it 'playing the content'.

I agree, the achievements are a lot easier to obtain this time around. I got all but 2 in my first run(level 30 and insanity). But you cannot blame this on the consoles. There are plenty of 360 and PS3 games out there with extremely tough achievements.

However some of the achievements in ME1 were just plain annoying. I'm looking at you Ally achievements! They seemed a bit glitchy too.

Soldato
I had no problem with the Ally achievements been glitchy. The only problem was how much of a pita it was to gain the Liara one. If anythings glitchy its the Incinerate/Disrupt achievements in this 1.

Soldato
I was wondering about those. Seemed you had to get the 'killing blow' on the armour/shield/barrier for it to count.

Far from it, you have to shred the armour/shield/barrier from start to finish with it. Simply finishing it off doesn't cut it, not sure you can shoot the enemy at all or it invalidates it. I've gotten nowhere on those achievements and i've only finished 'melee and shoot' because of the excessive amount of Husks on some levels (and even then if my Cryo ammo caused it to freeze and shatter i'd still not get it).

It does seem a lot of skills were rendered practically useless in this game. And the only reliable way to kill anything is a gun, unless you really want to spam Biotic/Tech powers none-stop. It doesn't help that my Insanity playthrough is with my imported Adept whose only method of dealing damage is to spam Warp, and even then its not that effective because EVERY enemy has either Armour or Shields. Singularity is useless in this game since it won't effect an enemy with Armour... wtf for? Since when does Armour stop you been flung across the room with Biotics.

Back
Top Bottom