Thinking about fronting? read this first....

Transmission breaker
Don
Mr BMW insurance would have asked for the name of the main driver... He gives his Dad's...
They then ask "Is this person the registered keeper of the vehicle" one of them answered "YES" to this question.

This is where the problem is. One of them made an un-true statement when taking out the insurance. Now, they are screwed.

Fronting is not the issue, it may have been happening, it may not. It is irrelivant.

They are cancelling the insurance on the grounds that the information given at the time the policy was taken out was WRONG...

Dood is screwed!

Caporegime
He's entering into a credit agreement so that someone else can buy the car, remember the car is now in his dads name. As he said, his dad wouldn't be able to get finance for the car.

Why would that be fraud? He has legal responsibility for the debt, and presumably demonstrated he could pay it; that's what the financiers will care about. Ultimately it makes no difference who drives it.

Soldato
Why would that be fraud? He has legal responsibility for the debt, and presumably demonstrated he could pay it; that's what the financiers will care about. Ultimately it makes no difference who drives it.
I suppose it is because the rate of finance offered to you, even the decision to give you finance, is based on your profile.

Transmission breaker
Don
I suppose it is because the rate of finance offered to you, even the decision to give you finance, is based on your profile.

I dont see how that can work.
Provided the person pays, and is legally responsible for the debt, then what the finance is used for is almost irrelivant!

Can you quote any legal precedent here? Genuinely curious about this!

Transmission breaker
Don
The key point is that the debt is secured against the car, what happens if the son stops paying but the dad disappears with the car?

Then the son is screwed, but can do nothing about it it. He has agreed to be responsible for the debt...

I still fail to see how this changes anything? I think we are taking this thread off topic far enough...

Fronting is not whats put this bloke into trouble!! (as i said a few posts above)

daz

daz

Soldato
I haven't read all the thread but I don't see him having much joy with the ombudsman, they will be supporting insurers to clamp down on fronting also.

But upon who is the burden of proof to show that he was "fronting"?

The insurance company will have to have some substantial proof that the younger driver was the main driver of the vehicle and lied to warrant not paying out on the theft of the vehicle, wouldn't they?

Soldato
But upon who is the burden of proof to show that he was "fronting"?

The insurance company will have to have some substantial proof that the younger driver was the main driver of the vehicle and lied to warrant not paying out on the theft of the vehicle, wouldn't they?

Balance of probabilities.

Looking at all the facts objectively they certainly paint a picture that the guy is fronting.

daz

daz

Soldato
Looking at all the facts objectively they certainly paint a picture that the guy is fronting.

It's difficult to know all the facts from where we are - but it does sound a little dodgy in this case. What the insurance company can't do though is refuse to pay out on a "hunch"... I'd imagine the guy isn't telling the full story and a loss adjuster has perhaps already interviewed him and/or his dad and decided against a claim?

Associate
how old is the guy?

does seem strange and considering his father does have another car it will be hard for him to claim that the BMW was also his main car. He can claim they drove the car 50/50 all he wants but that isn't really going to stand up.

What I find strange is shouldn't BMW insurance have said something when they took details of the car? Or do you reckon he told them some porkies? Or would they not need to know about how the cars finance?

Caporegime
All seems very odd. If they guy can afford a 30k+ BMW on finance in the first place, why would he have been so worried about saving a few hundred quid on his insurance premium?? :confused:

Soldato
All seems very odd. If they guy can afford a 30k+ BMW on finance in the first place, why would he have been so worried about saving a few hundred quid on his insurance premium?? :confused:

He wasn't trying to I don't think. I truly believe from reading that thread that he thought he had done everything legit and that it didn't matter who payed for the car as long as both people who are using it equally are insured.

Caporegime
He wasn't trying to I don't think. I truly believe from reading that thread that he thought he had done everything legit and that it didn't matter who payed for the car as long as both people who are using it equally are insured.

hm, Also, why didnt BMW tell him in the first place that the insurance was void...as in, when he took it out.

If the problem is the fact that he took the finance out in his name from BMW and has his dad as the registered keeper and insurance holder then why wasnt it flagged up when he tool the policy out.

Soldato
He's skimped on the insurance because he can't afford it, and now it has cost him big time. We know he can't afford it because he was selling the car already...

I hope they don't pay out. It goes a tiny way towards paying back for all the insurance scammers and uninsured drivers out there that put my own premium up.

EDIT - reading on, he has an expectation that if they didn't pay the claim, they might refund his insurance premium. What planet is he on?!

uv

uv

Soldato
The fact that he owns the car, has it financed in his name but someone else is insured as the main driver suggests otherwise.

Not at all. My g/f's car is financed by her mum. Does this mean her mum is fronting? Of course not.

We don't know anything about the chaps finances, or his dads.. and this is a horrific thing to have happened to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom