untaxed car question

Permabanned
Just one thing to say to you op

YOU
grass_by_conformity.jpg

Soldato
I pay my road tax every year without fail.
This year I paid £215 last month to last me through until 2011.

I'm sorry but if I'm paying my tax then so should everyone else.
I have done and will continue to report cars I see without tax.
Sitting back doing nothing and "minding my business" is not an option.
You wouldn't do that if you saw anyone comitting any other kind of crime.

Associate
I wouldn't report someone for not paying road tax. Up to the authorities to catch them. I pay mine (£35 a year!).

Any other kind of crime could be quite different.

Soldato
I think there's a growing sense of the reality of how our society is funded.
So road tax dodgers, TV licence non-payers, benefits fraudsters, shoplifters, those who might once have been grudgingly admired for getting one over on The Man, are now seen in a worse light, as maybe leeching off the rest of us.

Soldato
So road tax dodgers, TV licence non-payers, benefits fraudsters, shoplifters, those who might once have been grudgingly admired for getting one over on The Man, are now seen in a worse light, as maybe leeching off the rest of us.
depends where you're from, none of those have ever been admired in the world I grew up in apart from by equal levels of scum.

Soldato
I suspect the 'none of your business' brigade would be all too keen on the same people scamming benefits etc. The long and short of it is if you pay all your taxes and insurance and stay legal you are subsidising those who don't.

Soldato
You wouldn't do that if you saw anyone comitting any other kind of crime.

Do you report everyone you see speeding? Everyone with a brake light out? Someone sounding their horn after 7:30 PM Every under age person having a smoke?

I think it's completely petty and unnecessary if the "crime" isn't actually causing anyone hardship. You are going to become the worst kind of curtain twitcher in your old age with this kind of attitude.

Soldato
I suspect the 'none of your business' brigade would be all too keen on the same people scamming benefits etc. The long and short of it is if you pay all your taxes and insurance and stay legal you are subsidising those who don't.

As I stated previously, do you honestly believe that road tax would reduce in price if all tax dodgers starting paying tomorrow? You know it wouldn't. FWIW my car is always taxed insured and MOT'd, I simply don't feel the need to resort to living in a '1984' dystopia where everyone is encouraged to report fellow citizens for the most trivial of crimes.

Soldato

When has anyone ever "grudgingly admired" benefits fraudsters or shoplifters? What an odd upbringing you must have had.

Soldato
As I stated previously, do you honestly believe that road tax would reduce in price if all tax dodgers starting paying tomorrow? You know it wouldn't.

Car tax wouldn't go down, but suddenly they would have an extra £x million sitting in the transport fund. At least some of this would be used to improve roads, better public transport (so less people drive) and fixing potholes.

Man of Honour
As I stated previously, do you honestly believe that road tax would reduce in price if all tax dodgers starting paying tomorrow? You know it wouldn't.

probably won't, but there would be a bit more money in the governments coffers for them to mainly waste...

However if your driving around with a SORN'd car you have to ask why, is it cause they can't be bothered to tax it? can't afford to? can't because it won't pass and MOT, can't because its not insured or even worse can't because hes banned?

If its any of those i don't want it on the same road as me.

Soldato
probably won't, but there would be a bit more money in the governments coffers for them to mainly waste...

However if your driving around with a SORN'd car you have to ask why, is it cause they can't be bothered to tax it? can't afford to? can't because it won't pass and MOT, can't because its not insured or even worse can't because hes banned?

If its any of those i don't want it on the same road as me.
This is the reason for me, it's not to do with "I have to pay, why shouldnt they" It's the inherent wrongness of doing it, it may well imply that they might be doing other things wrong which could cause more problems.

Back
Top Bottom