My Cat tears its fur out..... ?

Soldato
if he has no bald spots its probably just natural fur loss. If i dont hoover my stairs every other day the red carpet becomes ginger and black.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
If you listened to him for 5 mins instead of running off to the pub every night and not telling him when you're coming home he'd not do it.

We had a cat that did this. She had a skin condition and just chewed, licked and scratched herself a lot. She was on some pills but they didn't help much. She did it for many years and she just looked like a scruffy cat, wasn't unhappy or anything.

Soldato
Our cat leave clumps of hair around but not that bad. Apparently normal if you/they don't groom properly.
Our dog had a similar thing to this too and it was fox mite apparently. Course of drugs cleared it up.

Associate
My cat done this, but every clump of fur had a scab at the bottom of it. Turned out hes allergic to fleas? Scratching himself all the time caused some sores. £150 and a week later, cat defleaed and carpets treated, no more fleas and the sores healed up.

My question is how can a indoor cat get fleas?

Associate
My cat had this really bad, she just wouldn’t stop doing it and had some awful looking bald patches. The vets ended up doing a skin biopsy but couldn’t find anything. She was on Anti-depressants & valium which did help. I think it drove her to madness, she was a normal cat when we had her, within 2 years she was a mentalist then she just disappeared :(

Soldato
He'll be alright my cat went quite bald once, vets just said he was stressed. (Good because we thought a wierd neighbour was shaving him)
Thoguh god knows how, he sleeps for 20 hours a day and hunts for the other 4, dunno what he's got to be stressed about.

Soldato
Sometimes yes, and lots of fur comes off him, trouble is, he has a real "go at you" when you comb him - and as I say, he's not small! - so I tend not to as much as I should..... :o

Cats have to get use to being brushed, my two tom cats took a long time to get use to it as they were grown up when I moved in with wifey who owned them and hadn't been brushed for ages.

They fight now to be brushed first, just do it every day for a few weeks and always reward the cat afterwards. Don't force him to be brushed and talk nicely to him whilst you're doing it.

After a while both of you will be enjoying it, I love brushing them, you can tell they love it now! :D I just have to pick up the brush, run it across my hand and they come tearing into the kitchen to find me :D

Associate
The cat has a secret life, he is struggling with the mortgage, a baby on the way and his boss is giving him a hard time at work. That would explain the stress.

Back
Top Bottom