age of conan

Soldato
Most left after the awful start. I know I wont go back due to it being absolutely awful. At one time, on the official forums, there were thousands of complaints which kept getting removed. I'd suggest that they lost the majority of there player base even before it had been running for a couple of months. Lot's of promises that were supposed to have been in release never made it (DX10 for example) and a lot of content missing.

I'd avoid.

M.

Soldato
It wasn't absolutely awful, it was just that it wasn't near finished, even for an mmo. It had excellent combat, great atmosphere and graphics, and some nice original classes.

It just had bugger all content after about level 30 :D

I believe it's almost unrecognisable now from when it launched, but as they don't seem inclined to offer me a free comeback week to find out, I'll never know :)

Soldato
I agree it was a very good game, just lacking content after a while.
PvP was hard you had to be very good to beat other people as the fighting was the most involved ive seen in a mmo, nothing like the macro 'click' one button wow type thing... Hence i didnt do too well on the PvP server :)

TBH when i get my 6 monthly dizzy spell where i decided to reinstall a pay to play game i normally pick LOTRO, but i always come to my senses and only play for a month.

Soldato
It wasn't absolutely awful, it was just that it wasn't near finished, even for an mmo. It had excellent combat, great atmosphere and graphics, and some nice original classes.

It just had bugger all content after about level 30 :D

I believe it's almost unrecognisable now from when it launched, but as they don't seem inclined to offer me a free comeback week to find out, I'll never know :)

Agreed, a 6 month delay and more beta testing would have most prob ended in the game wiping the floor with Wow tbh! i never had any bugs and was blown away by it, but when over half my guild rage quit i just couldn't face playing anymore :(

If battlefield bad company 2 would have been rubbish I’d have gone back…. But thankfully BFBC2 is absolutely amazing and will no doubt suck my RL away from me!

I do miss old conan tho I will be honest!

GOOOOOOOOO THEN That guy in tortage used to make me laugh when he said that!

Associate
Most left after the awful start. I know I wont go back due to it being absolutely awful. At one time, on the official forums, there were thousands of complaints which kept getting removed. I'd suggest that they lost the majority of there player base even before it had been running for a couple of months. Lot's of promises that were supposed to have been in release never made it (DX10 for example) and a lot of content missing.

I'd avoid.

M.

It was bad, many of those people have now been fired (although those nazi mods generally remain) they have added a lot of content and added most of the missing features plus some new ones. The problem for me though was that the game never felt massive, the endless loading between tiny zones did it for me to be honest, it felt like a house where you open and close the doors to all the rooms rather than a world.

Associate
Most over hyped launch in history - It was terrible. I like the way they left out certain 'features' like zone instancing etc. from the pre-release rubbish as well.

Soldato
Such a shame they goofed up the release because it was stunning to play and I agree, the combat had a lot more player involvement than just clicking an action. Using combos to execute the special was a much better way of doing things and actually introduced an element of skill to the game.

Miss it a lot and would definitely give it a go if they did an invite back. Had a really nicely pvp levelled ranger that was mid-50s and just started in that new region too when I quit. Love my BS but hit 80 with him just as they nerfed the hell out of the class :(

Associate
it is addictive, but for me there was a certain point where it gets dull and plus the subscription kinda kills it for me, if it was slightly less expensive then i may go back.

good game overall

Man of Honour
The problem for me though was that the game never felt massive, the endless loading between tiny zones did it for me to be honest, it felt like a house where you open and close the doors to all the rooms rather than a world.

Likewise, I enjoyed the setting and the aesthetics etc, but as with you the instancing just slaughtered my enjoyment. I can never get on with MMOs with a lot of instancing, I'd rather there was none but it seems to be a common "feature" of MMOs now.

Soldato
To reflect, rather than quoting, what was bad:

I'd suggest that a game that wasn't finished on release is absolutely awful. I've played a fair few betas over my time but this was the worst and then, on release, they hadn't fixed anything.

No DX10 support even though it was advertised on the box.

Instances, arrrrrrrrrrgh! There wasn't the player base to make this a requirement, yet it was still implemented and implemented badly.

Sadly it was never, ever, going to wipe the floor with WoW it was so disjointed, all the areas were small, the combat was the same old, the questing system was average at best, the quests were unoriginal, the game was unoriginal, the graphics, even when high were okay but not stunning. I am by no means a fan of WoW but it does a lot of the basic things very well. When you get on an MMO you want to see people running around questing as you feel part of the online World when a game uses instances and you are running around on your own what is the point?

The only good thing was that it was aimed at a more mature audience - sadly this wasn't reflected in the general chat. It felt like a single player game with an IRC channel attached to it.

There are hundreds of reasons out there why I think it's rubbish but its pointless going through every one here.

M.

Soldato
So...to brings things back to the o/p's question - has anyone actually played it recently, as opposed to "I played it at launch and it was rubbish therefore I can only assume it still is"?

Man of Honour
So...to brings things back to the o/p's question - has anyone actually played it recently, as opposed to "I played it at launch and it was rubbish therefore I can only assume it still is"?

I played it in November and came to much the same conclusion I had at launch.

Soldato
My brother loaded it up last week (we were both in the beta and played post-launch) and he reckons he couldn't even face getting out of Tortuga after a couple hours of play, so he cancelled within 24 hours of resubbing. This is from a man that was playing EQ for several weeks not too long ago - so he's not that fussy :D

Soldato
Played a month in November, felt exactly the same way I felt at release, First 20 levels great, next 10 ok, 30+ bored now stop sub and uninstall. They have improved some elements since release but the foundations were already wobbly to start with so there isn't much to build on :( Went back to LoTRO (I do love life subs :D)

Soldato
Got to level 50 something, then they comeplely decimated my class (serves me right for going hybrid).

Mostly annoyed at the huge dick-move of hiding that the game was instanced till 2-3 before release.

If they'd been straight with it from the start then they would know who their player base were, allowing them to cater for them. Instead they hid it just to get the pre-order/first month revenue, then lost everyone.

Then they rename 'Dark Days Are Coming' to 'The Secret World' - I mean, what the ****? Such a terrbile title.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom