WD TV live media player vs PS3

Associate
Slightly odd question.

I want to watch video off my pc via my network.

The WD TV looks good and is only £95 quid but for an extra 100 or so I could get a PS3.

Is the wd tv any better for this purpose.

I know it kinda comes down to "do I want to play games on a ps3" but I just want to put that aside and figure out which is a better media streamer, if that makes sense.

Associate
i would say the WD TV Live is better as it can play .mkv files which the ps3 cannot and it cost a lot less. but if you want to play games aswell or watch blu rays the ps3 is probably the way to go.

Associate
I've got both, and I prefer the WD TV Live - it plays a lot more files than the PS3 can (including mkv) - obviously the PS3 has games and blu-ray too, but in terms of streaming video, I'd definately go for the WD TV Live.

Soldato
I took delivery today of the Panasonic BMP-60 blu-ray player and the Playon!HD mini media streamer, I sold my ps3 a few weeks back.

These two are a much better solution, the PLayon!HD mini plays everything I throw at it!

£130 for the blu-ray player £87 for the streamer, which means it's cheaper too!

You could get a blu-ray player for £90 (samsung brand) and a Sumvision Media streamer for £68, way cheaper than ps3.

I got my products as I wanted a bit more in terms of quality.

Associate
I have both and got WD TV Live because it can stream more formats, also it uses about 1/10th the power of the PS3.

I wish the WD TV Live's interface was as slick as the PS3 tho!

Associate
Bear in mind that the WD TV outputs ALL dts audio via it's optical out, so unless you have it hooked up you wont get sound.
I just re encoded the audio to AC3 and all was good (for mkv files at least) as I was just connected to my TV via HDMI

Associate
Bear in mind that the WD TV outputs ALL dts audio via it's optical out, so unless you have it hooked up you wont get sound.
I just re encoded the audio to AC3 and all was good (for mkv files at least) as I was just connected to my TV via HDMI
Is that not the older version of the WD TV? as far as i know the new WD TV Live! now does this.

Caporegime

Not sure about that as the very point of HDMI is that is passes an audio signal also. Check this (excellent) review out:

One thing I don't understand is that he kept referring to the fact that the media player passed through digital audio to his amplifier via HDMI...how can this have happened, since it only has one HDMI port and he'd connected this to his TV? Or did he mean that his TV was passing the audio through to the amp?

Regarding this WDTV Live!, it seems to be a very good product, though I'm surprised that it doesn't talk properly to Windows 7 unless you set up a media server (i.e. you can't just use the standard W7 networking functionality). The other issue is that the latest firmware apparently bricks the product!!

Very much looking at buying this or (something similar) once the niggles have been ironed out.

Associate
OP
The firmware issue has been solved and from other sources I understand it hooks up with win7 no problems. (I hope as Im running win7 64).

Not sure about the HDMI as it only has one port.

Associate
WD TV sound issues with .mkv

Hi xander_uk2
I just noticed your reply ref sound on the WD TV. I have a new thread open on this & was wondering if you could have a look as I have issues listening to .mkv files.

Ref the orig post, I love my WD TV other than this issue (I also have a PS3 but its games only) LOL

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I don't understand is that he kept referring to the fact that the media player passed through digital audio to his amplifier via HDMI...how can this have happened, since it only has one HDMI port and he'd connected this to his TV? Or did he mean that his TV was passing the audio through to the amp?

Most new amps you connect HDMI devices to the amp, then the amp to the TV.

Associate
OP
Up and running, very impressed, plays everything ive thrown at it.

The interface/setup with win7 is a nightmare though, win7 doesnt like sharing with it. Once you have all your files as shared with "everyone" it seems to accept that you really do want to share.

Back
Top Bottom