Dogs and Smelly Houses

Soldato
OP
My parent's house doesn't smell of dog at all, they always open up the doors and windows to keep fresh air flowing through.

Fresh air is the key

This place was probably the worst ive ever had the pleasure of visiting. Its one of them types of environments where you dont feel comfortable sitting down. Imagine if they invited you over for dinner!!! i dont think i could have a drink of water there never mind food!

Soldato
Yes they do, you just can't smell it because you're used to it.
All houses with dogs smell - FACT.
The worst is people with pet rats.

Then explain how when I first went to my girlfriends house, before I was seeing her (and later living with her) I couldn't smell dogs and hadn't lived with them before. They don't smell.

If you have shorthaired dogs and keep them clean and have good ventilation, they won't smell. Big grotty long haired dogs probably do.

Soldato
My house used to smell, because I have 2 Tom cats. It was horrible, Then they were neutered, since then it hasnt smelt. I know for sure it doesnt because my mum is a ***** and loved to tell me my house smelt when she visited. And now she says it doesnt.

Mummy knows best

Soldato
I have a Labrador and my place stinks, he never stops farting though..and then I see it as a competition..and it all goes downhill from there, you definitely do get used to the smell though and everyone's house smells weird, even pet free households, you just never notice the smells as you yourselves get used to them.

Soldato
If you keep the dog clean and make sure the dog's bed is regularly cleaned then the smell is minimal and certainly one I am happy to accept for what I get in return from the dog.

Whenever I smell dog in someones house I just think 'ah, they have a dog' and don't think anymore about it, you just accept that dogs smell of dog. If there is dog business all over the place then of course it's a different matter.

The smell associated with dogs that always gets me though is that of tinned dog food; that sickly sweet meaty smell.

Soldato
I work in a lot of houses and know what you mean about the smell. Ive noticed that houses with hard floors instead of carpet don't tend to smell as bad. Ive been in some houses with really big dogs and the houses don't smell at all.

It does tend to be the houses that don't get vacuumed very often that stink. Its a nightmare having to work there for days. It also doesn't help that I'm allergic.

Associate
I have 2 Dogs, 2 Cats, 1 Tortoise, 1 Rabbit, 1 Guinea Pig and Fish.

There is absolutely no smell at all, even friends and family that come round have said they don't smell anything out of the ordinary.

Caporegime
most people dont wash their dogs enough or at all because more often than not if you stroke a dog and them smell your hand your hand will stink

Soldato
the smell that dogs leave round the house are okay, if they are kept well groomed, i guess it also depends on what type of dog you keep. ive seen some people who let their dog **** inside. thats just wrong!

another smell you can tell is either mice, rats or ferrets. the latter being the worst.

Back
Top Bottom