Help Needed On New Build

Associate
right, basically i bought all new components last week but as far have been unable to boot, the computer powers on but goes straight off and keeps doing this in a cycle, i have checked the motherboard which has lights on it and the southbridge light flashes red just before it all goes off which suggests overvoltage, could anyone explain to me why this keeps happening, plus i know the psu and graphics card are fine as I have got them working on my previous build.

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Patriot Viper 3GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Tri-Channel
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 64MB Cache
Palit Geforce GTS 250 1024MB
High Power 650w PSU

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Associate
OP
well i have tried the heatsink (scythe shuriken) on my old computer and it is all working, whereas i tried on my old computer last week and it didn't work, so it could be this also would the amount of thermal paste i put on make a major difference.

Associate
OP
no luck i doubled checked everything and tried reseating the heatsink 3 times but just got the same result as before.

Associate
Not sure how the triple channel stuff works, but is it possible to change the slots that your rams in? Ie move it to the other coloured channel'd slots? So make sure either that there all in the blue slots or in the white slots - that could be the problem.

If that doesn't work. Try a minimalistic setup, with only the core stuff connected, try it one stick of ram at a time as it could be faulty ram.

Associate
OP
i tried clearing the cmos with the button on back and removing the battery, the only jumper on the board is for the ieee 1394 interface, no luck.

Associate
OP
nope it powers up then powers down within a second, then just keeps doing that over and over again without touching anything.

Associate
OP
afraid not, my old board supports neither.
when i don't put in the 8pin from the psu, the fans stay on and it sounds like its working properly but i get no display on the monitor.

Associate
That will be because your card won't be able to get the power it needs from the motherboard.

Just done some internet research, try running 2 of the sticks of memory with all the power connectors connected - the ram must be in the white slots.

Then the computer should post, once it does you'll need to tweak the bios settings to get the XMP (Extreme memory profiles to work).

Let me know if that fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom