Another silly can I upgrade to X from Y windows 7

Associate
You have to install Windows 7 on a new partition iirc, you can only upgrade from Vista.

No. You can't upgrade but you don't have to install on a new partition either. Starting the install from within XP and doing a "custom install" it will move the older version to the "windows.old" folder along with the associated "windows" "program files" and "documents and settings" subfolders.

No. You can't upgrade but you don't have to install on a new partition either. Starting the install from within XP and doing a "custom install" it will move the older version to the "windows.old" folder along with the associated "windows" "program files" and "documents and settings" subfolders.

But the old Windows installation won't be useable anymore if you do that will it?

Soldato
OP
i was sure u could do a new install and it would give u the option to put in the old key?

I've got a really cheap upgrade (£35 and not from the random dodgy site either) as a student deal. Just need something cheap to "upgrade" from :)

Associate
Mercutio,

When upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows XP to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 Professional. Also, please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back
Top Bottom