Upgrade from XP

Caporegime
Looking to move from XP 32 bit to Windows Vista or 7 64 bit

Thing is, i already have vista 64 bit (never used it because i got annoyed with it and went back to xp) and was wondering whether its worth buying windows 7? is it noticeably better at being compatable with stuff e.t.c.?

Also, what would be the cheapest route? bear in mind that i want to do a completely clean install of Windows 7 so i don't know whethe an upgrade version will work?

cheers

Associate
I've just built a computer using 7 x64 and have had no compatability problems whatsoever.

I'd get the Home Premium Retail version.

Caporegime
OP
I've just built a computer using 7 x64 and have had no compatability problems whatsoever.

I'd get the Home Premium Retail version.

but can i get the upgrade from xp/vista ( I have genuine copies of both) and do a completely fresh install of windows 7?

Soldato
Since you own Vista 64 bit I'd be tempted to stick with that, Windows 7 is nicer but since you'd be paying a chunk more than those who pre-ordered it I doubt it'd be value for money.

I do vastly prefer Windows 7 to Vista, but if I were in your situation I'd just go for Vista and use the money elsewhere :)

If you went for Windows 7 you'd have to do a clean install unless you wanted to go:

XP 32 bit > Vista 64 bit > Windows 7 64 bit.

A collosal waste of time, if you go for Windows 7, get the 64 bit version installed, when you do the Xp 32 > Vista 64 upgrade you might have to uninstall some applications anyway to get the upgrade to work. You can't upgrade XP to Windows 7.

Caporegime
OP
Since you own Vista 64 bit I'd be tempted to stick with that, Windows 7 is nicer but since you'd be paying a chunk more than those who pre-ordered it I doubt it'd be value for money.

I do vastly prefer Windows 7 to Vista, but if I were in your situation I'd just go for Vista and use the money elsewhere :)

If you went for Windows 7 you'd have to do a clean install unless you wanted to go:

XP 32 bit > Vista 64 bit > Windows 7 64 bit.

A collosal waste of time, if you go for Windows 7, get the 64 bit version installed, when you do the Xp 32 > Vista 64 upgrade you might have to uninstall some applications anyway to get the upgrade to work. You can't upgrade XP to Windows 7.

I don't want to upgrade at all. i want to do a fresh install. But, can i still buy the uupgrade version? It says you only need to OWN xp or vista and as XP cant be upgraded to windows 7 without a fresh install i'm assuming this would be fine?

Associate
Jono8,

You can perform a clean install from a Windows 7 upgrade version however you will have to have a valid previous copy of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista installed to validate the upgrade and activate the product key. Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

lcg

lcg

Associate
Looking to move from XP 32 bit to Windows Vista or 7 64 bit

Thing is, i already have vista 64 bit (never used it because i got annoyed with it and went back to xp) and was wondering whether its worth buying windows 7? is it noticeably better at being compatable with stuff e.t.c.?

Also, what would be the cheapest route? bear in mind that i want to do a completely clean install of Windows 7 so i don't know whethe an upgrade version will work?

cheers
I would sell Vista and buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64. If you're a student you can get a copy of Home Premium or Professional very cheaply. If not, I would buy an OEM copy of Home Premium x64 here, or a retail copy if you prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom