Dogs and Smelly Houses

Soldato
My next door neighbours had a "house dog". I suspect that they called it a house dog because they couldn't be arsed to take it for walks. Its not even as if it was some expensive, rare breed pedigree, it was a mongrel ffs! The dog stank. The house stank. They stank. I used to dread it when the postman mistakenly delivered their mail to my house. Just opening their letterbox caused a toxic cloud to wash over me, it was truly vomit inducing.

I strongly believe that the postman deliberately put their mail through my letterbox because he couldn't stand the pungent funk wafting from their manor.

When their "house dog" died last year I laughed, and now they hate me.

I was never really much of a doggy person but the whole experience has put me off mutts for life.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Skinners Field and Trial Puppy - as he was fed by the Breeder - the brand that the breeder feeds all of his (field trials champion) dogs...
For a thread about smelly dogs - you've made very, er, harsh responses.
Are you a vet? Pet nutritionist?

No, just spent a very long time researching and reading about dog food.

The reason for the harsh responses is because people actually believe pedigree is a high quality dog food and for people who think dogs smell because there mates dog is fed on really poor food.

FYI i feed my Lab on Skinners F&T Duck and rice + nature diet + oily fish.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
No, just spent a very long time researching and reading about dog food.

The reason for the harsh responses is because people actually believe pedigree is a high quality dog food and for people who think dogs smell because there mates dog is fed on really poor food.

FYI i feed my Lab on Skinners F&T Duck and rice + nature diet + oily fish.

Maybe reserve your "harsh" presumptuous responses until you know the facts, mmmkay?

Soldato
Skinners Field and Trial Puppy - as he was fed by the Breeder - the brand that the breeder feeds all of his (field trials champion) dogs...
For a thread about smelly dogs - you've made very, er, harsh responses.
Are you a vet? Pet nutritionist?

He's talking bull anyways, The idea with food for puppies\kittens early on is to have them on a diet full of rich nutrition that helps them grow and be healthy. Their urine may smell and be potent because of this, because what isnt absorbed into your animals body for use, is desposed of in the urine.

When you move your dog over to adult food or junior food at the recommended time you'll find the smell isnt quite as bad. Obviously urine will always smell though :p but at this point it'll be pungent

This is 2nd hand info from my vet btw, i was concerned with my cat, I had to take samples of urine and everything :D Good times were had!

Last edited:
Soldato
havent noticed it in every 'dog house' ive been in but obviously some dogs smell more than others

our cats dont smell. but they really shouldnt considering theyve been spayed/neutered and spend 90% of the time cleaning themselves and the other 10% pooing in peoples flower beds. ill admit that the old 20year old one did though... just like old people :p

Permabanned
You don't spay a male, it's castrate, and I wouldn't recommend castrating dogs because of the health problems associated with it.

O leaving them intact and having other health risks and problems.

Maybe reserve your "harsh" presumptuous responses until you know the facts, mmmkay?

Right ok, because 1 person here feeds there dog properly, the rest will follow suit? :rolleyes:

He's talking bull anyways

Of course mate :)

Caporegime
O leaving them intact and having other health risks and problems.

I can't understand what that sentence says, but if you want more information on the negative health and behavioural effects of neutering I suggest,

"Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs" by
Laura J. Sanborn, M.S.

"Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Neutering on Behavior in Dogs" by
Deborah L. Duffy, Ph.D., and James A. Serpell, Ph.D

Soldato
It totally depends on the dog and other factors.

My dog for example is a jack russell - so very short haired, and is showered twice a week. So next to no smell.

Hell, my wife even buys our dog clothes. I find it all very disturbing.

Soldato
Of course mate :)

Look, I'll make it simple, a few posts ago you said pedigree chum was poison to dogs. My vet recommended pedigree chum to my mum for her dog, as she was over weight and diebetic. You telling me he was looking to poison my mums dog? Bull, I don't mind some of your posts. But telling someone they're poisoning their dog is over the line. So just step out the thread and post in one of your conspiracy threads where you talk more sense

Permabanned
I can't understand what that sentence says, but if you want more information on the negative health and behavioural effects of neutering I suggest,

"Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs" by
Laura J. Sanborn, M.S.

This paper basically tells you that neutering the dogs leads to BREED specific aggression issues in females and *may* reduce possible aggression in males.

Ages of dogs are not reported; chances are these dogs in this review were young when neutered, meaning any "behavioural" issues occurred due to maturation and would have occurred either way.

Also, most of the data was gained through on-line questionnaire recruitment - the only people who respond to these are people who have things to say i.e. their dog has problems after neutering >> biased sample.

This paper gives no evidence for the negative effects of neutering.

"Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Neutering on Behavior in Dogs" by
Deborah L. Duffy, Ph.D., and James A. Serpell, Ph.D

This paper has no factual evidence and it is basically "fluffy" in what it's saying. It's arguments about dog neutering are all based around castration under 1yo - anyone is an idiot who neuters this young and you are bound to get issues. The so-called female problems are also age-dependent; again probably due to spaying an immature bitch.

Both papers have a consistent lack of statistical rigour - they fail to report statistical significance (p values) and effect sizes, as well as raw scores for their data.

For instance, in the second paper, it states "doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers". So this means that a male neutered dog has MAXIMUM 1.98% chance of urinary cancers (although note they fail to report exact stats so it's probably something like 0.01%). If this was put through actual statistical analyses, I BET this would not be anywhere near significant. They failed to account for proportional variance in neutering, so the reason why more neutered dogs get urinary cancer is BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE NEUTERED DOGS AROUND!

Conclusion: CRAP PAPERS!

Permabanned
Look, I'll make it simple, a few posts ago you said pedigree chum was poison to dogs. My vet recommended pedigree chum to my mum for her dog, as she was over weight and diebetic. You telling me he was looking to poison my mums dog? Bull, I don't mind some of your posts. But telling someone they're poisoning their dog is over the line. So just step out the thread and post in one of your conspiracy threads where you talk more sense

First off, Pedigree chum contains 5% of animal derivetives, which is another word for any part of the animal they find left that contains a small meat value, i.e. feet, ears, necks, eyes, beaks, tongues, trotters etc, last time i checked for a dogs daily diet, that really is low standard.

It also means they can change the contents of the pack when cheap meat comes available, i.e. this weak road kill badger is cheaper then poison killed rats.

And also, i used to be a manager of a high street food chain store (17k SQ feet), i dealt with a company that came and collected Frozen out of date and otherwise unsaleable meat and sell it to Pedigree, Butchers and Bakers.

Second off, they contain EC approved colourants, which when googled show you they use the same colourants in clothing for in dogs, please tell me you'd more then happily put clothing die into your dog?

Third off they use cheap fillers like cereals and grains which have ZERO beneficial nutrients to a dog.

Please again tell me, why do you feed your dog on poison?

Last edited:
Soldato
I see where you're coming from. It's the diet coke thing again, Too much diet coke causes cancer. Same with the dog food no doubt, due to the man-made content.

but it still stands, that it was recommended by a animal care expert, to a diabetic dog. There has to be reasoning behind it. He's not going to recommend a certain food without a logical reason. And it's not a money thing, because the vet sold their own brand of food, which he did not recommend.

Permabanned
I see where you're coming from. It's the diet coke thing again, Too much diet coke causes cancer. Same with the dog food no doubt, due to the man-made content.

but it still stands, that it was recommended by a animal care expert, to a diabetic dog. There has to be reasoning behind it. He's not going to recommend a certain food without a logical reason. And it's not a money thing, because the vet sold their own brand of food, which he did not recommend.

Commission, I'm surprised the vet even recommended Pedigree, Considering they get higher commission from selling Science Plan.

I don't see the vets reasoning, but i can guarantee you that Nature Diet and Natures harvest, are vastly better foods, much higher meat content and added nutrients and there CHEAPER then pedigree and other foods.

Most people who have been feeding there dogs on supermarket and other low quality brand dog foods and then switch to the higher quality cheaper foods find there dogs health vastly improve.

Back
Top Bottom