STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Soldato
Oh so you can't actually get those artifacts until you take the quest? Then they're guaranteed to spawn somewhere? I was always holding off taking Beards quest until i actually had 1...

Anyway, upgraded the Eliminator (Drumfed Shotty) to tier 2 and my Lynx (Dragunov Sniper) to tier 2. The ammo is about 450RU for 10 from Owl and he doesn't sell much but damn is it powerful. Headed over to the Waste Plant full of Mercs... took at least half of them out from extreme range in 1 headshot before they were even aware of me. I just need a decent Assault really for mid-range.

Edit: Hmm, i think i need a better detector, chances are this "Bear" can't detect half of the ones i want ><

Last edited:
Associate
Need some help

Iv found a funky stash neer the train with the the moving electric anomaly in the second area. its a nice sniper rifle and ammo iv managed to get the rifle but i cant reach the ammo :( im tried everything to get it shooting it throwing grenades at it, its just out of reach. any1 else got this and the ammo? if so how?

thanks

Soldato
Loving this right now, but it doesn't feel the same as the other two. Kind of feels rushed, but it doens't seem to have any bugs for a change. Think I might have to play the original again as I only ever got the rubbish greedy ending.

I take it once you've done misssions in first area and moved onto next you can go back to the first area?

Caporegime
Oh so you can't actually get those artifacts until you take the quest? Then they're guaranteed to spawn somewhere? I was always holding off taking Beards quest until i actually had 1...

Anyway, upgraded the Eliminator (Drumfed Shotty) to tier 2 and my Lynx (Dragunov Sniper) to tier 2. The ammo is about 450RU for 10 from Owl and he doesn't sell much but damn is it powerful. Headed over to the Waste Plant full of Mercs... took at least half of them out from extreme range in 1 headshot before they were even aware of me. I just need a decent Assault really for mid-range.

Edit: Hmm, i think i need a better detector, chances are this "Bear" can't detect half of the ones i want ><

No you can find them normally it;s just there always is one during the quest ;p

And no the bear won't detect them you need the veles detector.

Soldato
Decided to slaughter a random group of 5 and got 2 Veles detectors just after posting that which was handy. Still not had much luck finding 1 though, though i suspect finding 'Flame' and going to the burnt farm will be a good 1.

Caporegime
don't forget to look at the burner anomaly too and the circus (they both fire based but there is a flame based poltergeist in the circus)

and the caves under the farm are good for expensive ones. just doge the comets ;)

Soldato
Just a quick question about the difficulty

I'm about halfway through the game playing on the default difficulty level of 'Stalker'.

I find as much as I enjoy the game I almost never meet any enemies. Whenever you do they're usually pretty tough opponents, but theres not exactly many of them. I seem the recall the enemies in the first game were pretty hardcore and plentiful.

Is the lack of enemies the result of not choosing a harder difficulty level, or if I was to restart with the next one up would I find it's the same amount of bad guys, only now they're even tougher...

Kinda curious as it's a fantastic game, but apart from the odd challenge and tough enemy it's bit of a pushover so far...

Associate
Does anyone find that performance varies a lot for no apparent reason? For the last 2 hours (addict!) fps have been absolutely pants, checked task manager for rouge programs, did the affinity trick, occasionally get an error message about low memory (but still have at least 1gb free?! 4GB total win7 64bit).

Then all of a sudden without quitting the game, I think it was after I talked to a person, it became perfectly smooth with no hangups.

Very random :(

Associate
I assume they added new weapons? What are they?

I was always a fan of the LR-300(might be wrong with the name)

Associate
Here's a link to the English Language game manual :

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145229

This should be Steam / GSC's job but fortunately a few people have stepped in to sort the steam users out.

Tip for the very beginning of the game with the crappy AK47 you get. I found it's impossible to kill with it on auto, press the '0' key to switch it to 1 shot at a time then click it quickly & you can actually kill things. Of course, replace/ upgrade ASAP.

@ Stonedofmoo The difference in this game is that most groups of human enemies are not automatically hostile unless you start on them. This changes the emphasis, with mutants being more of a threat most of the time. I found it played great on 'veteren', 'stalker' is perhaps a bit easier than on previous games in the series .

Oh & it still randomly stutters now & then, when travelling rather than in combat, I think its not that great at streaming, it's still basically built on the same ancient engine with all the great new stuff bolted on.
But what a cool game & really quite far ahead of the previous ones in the series in my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're having a problem with stuttering, you can try this:

Stuttering: Stuttering is something common to many games, and is simply loading pauses as new information is being loaded up from your hard drive into RAM and/or into the graphics card's Video RAM. Unfortunately Clear Sky follows in Shadow of Chernobyl's footsteps to some degree in having noticeable pauses and stutters as you wander the game world. However unlike SoC, I don't recommend using the -noprefetch switch (See the Advanced Tweaking section), as it's likely to make the stuttering and pauses even worse. Aside from general system optimization, including disabling background programs (see below), to reduce the stuttering you should try lowering your Texture Detail setting as well as disabling Dynamic Music, and also lower your Shadow Quality and Anisotropic Filtering settings as these will help reduce the amount of data that is constantly being loaded up.
(Taken from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky Tweak Guide)

Soldato
you should try lowering your Texture Detail setting as well as disabling Dynamic Music, and also lower your Shadow Quality and Anisotropic Filtering settings
All of those have a negative impact on IQ/SQ and as such are not really great solutions.

I don't think disabling background apps will help as I get stuttering when walking thru the world and have >1GB of free RAM, defragmenting might help a little.

Associate
I have just got this, something seems to be wrong with my machine, it runs really slowly when looking at certain things, this is with a 4890 graphics card so it should handle it fine (dx9 mode). 4gigs of ram on win XP using the 3gb switch.

I thought it may just be the new one but i tried shadow of chernobyl and thats running slowly too, it never used too... On call of pripyat one example is if you look in the direction of the river at the beginning, massive slow down (turning soft water off doesnt help). This happens even when the river is really far away. looking away from the river its silky smooth however. Shadow of Chernobyl seems to be running slowly all the time when outside turning settings right down seems to help, but it used to run fine with everything maxed.

I've updated my drivers, anything else I should try?

Soldato
If you're having a problem with stuttering, you can try this:

(Taken from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky Tweak Guide)

Stuttering is a massive problem with the game. I can't see that guide being spot on to be honest. I have a quad core, 8Gb of RAM and a reasonable gfx card with 1Gb onboard and it still stutters and stalls constantly when walking around, oh and this is on a RAID0 Raptor setup.

The game is just basically in need of some optimisations, a patch wouldn't go amiss. If the game wasn't so damn good I'd normally have stopped playing it because of the stuttering by now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stuttering is a massive problem with the game. I can't see that guide being spot on to be honest. I have a quad core, 8Gb of RAM and a reasonable gfx card with 1Gb onboard and it still stutters and stalls constantly when walking around, oh and this is on a RAID0 Raptor setup.

The game is just basically in need of some optimisations, a patch wouldn't go amiss. If the game wasn't so damn I'd normally have stopped playing it because of the stuttering by now.

yeah they'#re never great on optimization for all systems at first (fortunately I've never had any stuttering issues with the stalkers).

But they're usual;ly patched and the comunity makes some good fixes, even if they're just config tweaks

iirc a big one was the light reflecting off a surface like concrete and then reflecting it's colour onto another wall and so on looked great but if the distance was set too high it was doing it of 5-6 walls for each ray then determining the colour etc and really made a hit.

Soldato
Ugh, my GTX275 cannot cope with this game. It handled Clear Sky on High settings perfectly, but come to this, and the FPS is horrid. Had to bump everything down to Medium, and even then it gets raped sometimes.

At least I don't get killed by dogs anymore.

Back
Top Bottom