Spec me a 4/5 door "quick car"

Associate
As a bit of a follow on from my RX8 thread, I'm interested to see what cars fit these criteria:

• 4 or 5 doors - for practicality/baby
  • reasonably "quick" or "warm" - anything over say 170 bhp
  • later than 2002/02 plate
  • less than 90,000 miles
  • less than £6k (plus bargaining room)

Soldato
ST220 is ideal in this budget, enough power, plenty of room, much cheaper to run than an RX8, only started being made in 2002 and will get much lower than 90k miles and 6k if you go for a pre facelift.

Soldato
I keep thinking about ST220s to replace my Accord. They're a bit "sporty" for my needs (I have the MX5 to satisfy the driving thrills) but they tick all the boxes. What are they like in terms of reliability? What sort of MPG does yours return Paul?

Soldato
Reliability, I dont want to jinx myself but I have had nothing go wrong with mine whatsoever in the 2 years (almost) I have owned it. I get on average 26mpg on my 7 mile journey to work but on a run at 70-80 I will get something like 32-34. Have had it up to 39 before but that was driving like a saint.

Soldato
I keep thinking about ST220s to replace my Accord. They're a bit "sporty" for my needs (I have the MX5 to satisfy the driving thrills) but they tick all the boxes. What are they like in terms of reliability? What sort of MPG does yours return Paul?

Most people say they aren't sporty enough! The engine is quite lazy from what I've heard (lovely sound though).

Soldato
I must applaud that BigT, good effort ...I like the way you think :D ...although I suspect it isn't really quite what the op has in mind.

I'd be inclined to say the ST220 fits the bill perfectly, but so would an E46 330i or indeed an E39 530i ...however you might struggle to find a nice 5 with 90k or less miles in budget ...the 330i would be an easier bet I think.

Or there is the Volvo S60 T5 :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think the ST220 is easily the best option there. I wish things like the Civic Type R saloon had been around longer and were more popular, because I think they look awesome.

The LCR is just a leon with a quicker engine. Absolutely no extras, with the exception of Xenons. The interior is exactly the same as my SE derv leon.

Is the Volvo much bigger than the Mondeo? I always imagine that it is for some reason. It certainly seems less 'dynamic' than an ST220, but overall I do like them.

The VRS I do like, but I would have to either hold on or stretch the budget to a mark 2.

I am seeing now why the RX8 is so cheap when you can have something like an ST220 with a 3.0 V6 and still save a significant amount in fuel alone.

Soldato
BMW 330i e46 and ST220 are the two that cropped up when I had a similar criteria! The BMW won in the end, just felt far more dynamic to drive, but the ST220 is a very good bet.

Back
Top Bottom