how do you update BIOS

Associate
have a gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 mobo and because of problems, the same as other have had, i've been advised to update the BIOS to v10 from 9.
have downloaded the link to my desktop. how exactly do you install this update.
is it just a case of clicking on the link and downloading it or do you have to do it some other way, like in the BIOS screen?
plz help guys.

Associate
I cannot comment on the Gigabyte boards but I have an Asus board, you normally download the file and extract and copy to a USB stick, reboot system with stick inserted and it automatically flashes the bios.
Gigabyte should have instructions on their site on how to do this, be careful though
Make sure you have default bios settings before flash ie, no overclock
Do not intterupt power while flash is in progress

Ifyou are not confident then ask a competant computer user for assistance.

Associate
download this http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_a_bios.htm then install and then download correct motherboard bios and zip the file into new folder then open Windows @BIOS then flash update then once it done then reboot as it will update latest BIOS - Ive used when I flashed my older M59SLI-S5 as Im now Asus M4n82 that I used Asus Windows Update that included BIOS update - very easy with GBT @BIOS but make sure you download correct motherboard version and model before you flash it.

Associate
Just to echo the above comments, the worst thing you can do it to try and update the BIOS from Windows. It's likely to go wrong and can be riddled with problems. Follows the above guide and you will be fine.

Soldato
Do not use @BIOS, not if you like your board. Get the bios file, stick it on a usb drive. Reboot into the bios, save the profile to the usb drive or write the settings down/camera. Then use Q-Flash (F8) at stock speeds. Select the HDD bios file and flash, reboot and load optimised defaults. Put the settings back with the profile or manually. You can copy the main bios to the secondary backup bios by pressing ALT+F12 at boot.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks i have the bios and also the overclock courtesy of overclockers i was going to put the o/c on usb pen and after ive loaded the new bios load the o/c settings again if necessary.
think i will have to print off your instructions as i will have forgot them when i get into the bios screen
once i get into the bios screen is there a choice to download the present bios setting? or is that the ALT+F12?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah F11 in the bios will save it to a slot or HDD (flash), save it to the HDD option as all the profiles will be wiped in the bios update. The ALT-F12 is during the boot screen and copies the current working bios to the backup bios, the board can load a secondary bios if the main bios corrupts. And yes I have had the board do just that, life saver that function.

Associate
Cool. I need to get round to doing this as well. Is there an easy way of telling what version you are on at the moment or should I just update to the latest version?

Associate
OP
Yeah F11 in the bios will save it to a slot or HDD (flash), save it to the HDD option as all the profiles will be wiped in the bios update. The ALT-F12 is during the boot screen and copies the current working bios to the backup bios, the board can load a secondary bios if the main bios corrupts. And yes I have had the board do just that, life saver that function.

i dont seem to be able to save the current bios. when i startup go into the bios screen and press F11 nothing happens. also i notice the bios version installed on my pc says F7 which seems rather old to me.
so can you help as to how i save my current bios in case when i install the F10 it goes wrong, so at least i can revert to the original?

Associate
OP
thanks for that ive done as you say and it says 'save current bios' but it doesnt give me a choice where to save it. i have a usb stick in as well.

Soldato
There's a difference between saving the current bios and saving the bios profile.

There's no need to save the older bios'. If you need the earlier bios revisions they're here. The profile you'll have to save yourself

Make sure the usb flash drive is formatted in fat32.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
now i'm totally confused basically i'm trying to do as your previous post suggests..................

Originally Posted by fornowagain

just so if i mess up i can revert back to the original.

thanks

Soldato
There's two separate issues, the bios itself and the settings in the bios.

You can save both. Or not.

If you flash to the latest bios you loose the settings. So you can save the settings as a profile and re-write the profile to the latest bios. If you want to go back you'll need the old bios and its settings.

Sounds like you need to make sure the flash drive is being recognised to start with and go on from there.

F11 will save the profile.

gedc0343u.jpg

gedc0344.jpg

gedc0345.jpg

F8 from within Q-Flash and you can save the current bios or just download another copy from the link above.

gedc0346.jpg

gedc0347.jpg

gedc0348.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom