Would you take a drop in pay for the sake for a lot less travel time

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Currently contracting in South London with a wage I'm happy with, basically I've been offered a position quite literally 3 minutes from my house.

At the minute it takes me roughly 40mins to get to work in the morning and 1hr 20 on the way home due to bridge traffic etc.

I've weighed it up, by the time I put the extra fuel costs with earning more money taking the job round the corner will result in earning £40 less a week. I'm tempted to do it but at the same time I thoroughly enjoy working where I am now, and it's just a continual rolling contract whereas this place near home is a 6month contract...and theres every chance I'll hate it (obvious risk with any new placement)

What would you guys do?

Thanks,
Jake

Soldato
Given that neither is a "permanent" job, can I ask how long you've been at the current place?

Is £40 a week much to you? Will you have to make any cutbacks because of it, or just put a little less in the piggy bank at the end of each month? ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ignoring other factors, £40 per week for 10 hours of travel time. Seems like a no brainier to me, thats a very low rate of pay for the time.

Caporegime
Ignoring the other issues regards contracts and whether you like it or not, I have always judged my jobs and the salary based on the time I leave my house to the time I return home.

if the extra one hour 50 minutes saved per day equates to more than £40 per week then technically the nearer job is better paid per hour for the time which is not your own.

This assumes you can afford to live on the £40 per week less. Also don't forget to factor in that it's not just the extra fuel costs but depreciation and wear and tear on your car with the extra miles which doesn't come without costs as well.

I once had a job where I travelled two hours each way but I loved it and the pay was great and the hours working were short. People used to think I was mad but when I pointed out to them that I left my house at 7am and returned at 7pm and got great pay but the person who was saying I was mad left his house at 6.40am and had 20 minutes to work but then worked past 6pm and hence was home not long before me but I got paid way more than him, they could see the point.

As it was I did get fed up with the travel and finally took a job which was 10 minutes away for much less money but instead of the time door to door being 60 hours per week, it was only 47 hours per week with the added bonus of being able to go home for lunch.

Associate
So that's about 10 hours travelling for £40? That's £4/hr! Get the new job, your sanity will be saved from all that driving in London. (It will also be one less car on the road trying to run me over on my bike!)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Talk to the current employer.

They may give you travel expenses, if they want to keep you. If not, they may be willing to give you some time to try the new job before making the commitment.

Soldato
Agreed with the above. Commuting time is work time as far as I am concerned and 10 hours less travel for a loss of £40.00 a week sounds like a simple option to me.

Take the easy commute!

Soldato
I had a 5 hour commute yesterday, but I enjoy my job. I've been offered a desk job on the same money (but no company car) which is 20 minutes each way and much fewer hours if you count the commute but I'd much prefer to do something I enjoy.

I think the risk of not enjoying the new position would sway me to stay put.

Caporegime
I used to work 40 minutes away and now have a job five minutes away. I'm much happier now as I greatly value the extra 1hr 10 mins of leisure that the reduced commute has given me every day.

Albeit the new job pays more but working close to home is still a beautiful thing!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I had a 5 hour commute yesterday, but I enjoy my job. I've been offered a desk job on the same money (but no company car) which is 20 minutes each way and much fewer hours if you count the commute but I'd much prefer to do something I enjoy.

I think the risk of not enjoying the new position would sway me to stay put.
You may end up liking it (the new job) more though? :confused:

Caporegime
As said, you may love the new job as well but even if you didn;t quite as much, to me the extra 10 hours per week leisure time is priceless.

And it's all releative. If your were only earning £250 per week then £40 per week is a big drop. If you are earning £1000 per week then it's loose change.

Back
Top Bottom