I miss ABIT.

Soldato
I wasn't too keen on my Abit AV8-3rd Eye. :/
but name a better VIA K8T800 Pro/ VT8237 chipset mobo ...
the Asus A8V DeLuxe certainly wasn't.
I had the Abit AV8-3rd Eye but it failed on me within a week (Great when working) so I thought I would try an Asus A8V Deluxe but it was bugged to hell woudnt hold PCI lock so sold that & bought a Revision 2 later.

Wish I had kept the Abit AV8-3rd Eye I thought it was a better board altogether & the Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2 failed on me & after countless phone calls to Asus they never for around to RMA my faulty board.

Soldato
My first board in my first build was an Abit AB9. The board shipped with a BIOS incompatible with IDE DVD drives, so any attempt to install Windows resulted in a BSOD. The fix turned out to be a new bios. I had no floppy disk drive and it was impossible to update from a flash drive. Thus, it took me a week to get the build running after I had finally tracked down a floppy drive and worked out how to flash the bios.

Even when I did get it running, there were serious issues with the DVD drive that caused stuttering in Windows, and in addition the board wouldn't post above a 350mhz FSB, which gave me the paltry overclocked speed of 2.4ghz on my E6300.

Not, in any way, the experience you want to have on your first build when you've just invested £700 in new hardware and can't work out what's wrong with it.

My second Abit board was an IX38. It was a replacement for a ailing Gigabyte board, and it was rock solid. Great board, no problems, did the job and performed how I wanted it to until April last year, when I sold it to upgrade to i7. It's a shame my first Abit experience was so bad, but the second one was good enough that if they were still around today I'd probably be using them.

Soldato
but name a better VIA K8T800 Pro/ VT8237 chipset mobo ...
the Asus A8V DeLuxe certainly wasn't.

I suppose, can't polish a turd...

I know it came out much later, but my ASUS A8N-SLI was much much better. THe DFI lanparty further still.

Soldato
I suppose, can't polish a turd...

I know it came out much later, but my ASUS A8N-SLI was much much better. THe DFI lanparty further still.
I agree there - the Asus A8N-SLI Premium after the Abit A8V-3rd Eye & the crappy Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 1 & 2 & it was easily the best socket board I used but then again total different chipset.

The Via chipset was pants, plus the soundcard stuttering issues as well with the Soundblaster cards, although it eventually got fixed for most people via a user made patch.

Soldato
I still think that the Abit AN8 series were probably the best all round 939/nF4 mobos going.
Imo better than the Asus A8N series & yes, a DFI could hit a slightly higher fsb or push the memory a bit harder but it would give you imperceptible improvements in performance & be noisier & touchier.
I've still got 1 of my old AN8 Ultras doing sterling service in my mother's PC & it's absolutely reliable even now.

Associate
@ nelly;
the sound stuttering was caused by creative not using in spec pci timings if I recall..
the KT890 + VT8237 AX8 has to be my personal favourite board.
Paired with a X2 4800+ and a X1800XT it made my most stable, forgiving and fun to play with system to date. It survived many suicide runs with >1.7V core netting me forum highest 939 amd score in nuclearus in the end :p - the combo still works to this day, and unlike the SB600 based boards (or early nvidia ones) I never found myself crawling up its behind in order to fix some issue or another with sata hdd, or certain memory or glueing heatsinks to the southbridge to stop it overheating....

Back
Top Bottom