Playing Blu-ray from your hard drive

Associate
Right
I use DVDFab to back up my DVD colection to my hard drives and use media browser to play them with no problems.

I can backup my blu-ray discs using this to my hard drive but I cannot seem to play them.

Anyone give me any advice on what I am doing wrong? I would like to keep the 1080p and 5.1 sound.

Oh, I am using 7MC.

Cheers for any advice or recommendations.

Phunky

Associate
I have backed up a few Blu Rays.

I used blu ray ripper and use VLC player to play them. When it backs them up I have to right click the folder i want to play and open in VLC for it to work correct with menu etc.

Keeps 5.1 etc and is EXACT copy of the disk :) Just uses around 40GB on some disks..

Associate
OP
deus3x
Do you know if you can plug VLC into 7MC?
I use mediabrowser to look at the cover art and then it just launches the DVD's from within 7MC.
Do you know if VLC would run the same way, just for the blu-ray stuff?

Associate
Why don't you just save the HDD space and play the BR from the discs?

Watching Blu-ray movies has become a popular trend nowadays. Besides directly inserting them to optical drive for playing, many people have the need of copying these movies on HDD of their PC for local playback, so that they can enjoy these movies while traveling without bringing lots of crispy Blu-ray discs.

Right
I use DVDFab to back up my DVD colection to my hard drives and use media browser to play them with no problems.

I can backup my blu-ray discs using this to my hard drive but I cannot seem to play them.

Anyone give me any advice on what I am doing wrong? I would like to keep the 1080p and 5.1 sound.

Oh, I am using 7MC.

Cheers for any advice or recommendations.

Phunky

I will show you a guide, hopes hlep!:cool:

1: Download, install and launch a Blu-ray Ripper(I use Pavtube, works fine)
2: Click "DVD Rom", "DVD Folder" or "IFO/ISO" to load Blu-ray files
3:select output format and set save path
Click the pull down list of "Format" to select your wanted output format, there are a wide range of options, here I choose "MPEG-TS HD Video (*.ts) as an example.
4:Set advanced settings
Click "Settings" button, then you will be able to adjust audio and video parameters in the following interface, including codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, and audio channel.

28ur14.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers hsia but that did not work!
I tried to open a folder which I had ripped the blu-ray to using DVDFab and it reported 'Cant detect format'.
So I inserted the disc and opened that and it reported the same!
Also, the View Log window that opens reporting this has no close button so I have to close it using Task Manager
:(

PS.
Welcome to the forums

Last edited:
Associate
Download the sharks codec pack, runs every media file ive ever thrown at it, intergrates into media browser fine and its v lightweight, no probs with 5.1 sound either:

http://shark007.net/

Personally im using arcsoft total media theatre 3, as it intergrates into media centre, unlike PowerDVD.

I dont know anything about ripping BRs though, hope that helps somewhat.

Hawker

Associate
Try DVDFab 6. There's a trial version available. This allows you to just rip the main movie m2ts file from the disk to your HD. MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Theatre) will then play these files no problems and you should be able to set-up codecs to do it for any other player too.

I'm a bit ####ed off at the state of Blu-Ray support. I've got PowerDVD oem (from OCuk) which refuses to play any of the Blu-Rays I've tried it with, so the only way I can watch them is to rip them first. Since the choice is to pay 40+ quid for a software player that doesn't even integrate into my HTPC software or pay the same for a ripper which actually allows me to use the content how I want I know which I'll be choosing.

Associate
OP
Right, using Total Media Theatre 3 I can play the blu-ray rips from my HDD ripped by DVDFab.
Only annoying thing is I bought PowerDVD for £60, and now need to buy TMT3 at £77 to do what I want!
I will try MPC-HT and see if that will play the rips if its free!
Also might try MakeMKV as I could rip them for free, and then FFDshow for playback as again its free.
But I am lazy so might just fork out the £77 and be done with it!!

Back
Top Bottom