Tips on introducing a German Shepherd to a new born?

Soldato
Well as some of you know i'm expecting my first baby with my wife in 8 weeks, I have a 3 year old female German Shepherd, she is good as gold, she listens well but has moments of absolutely psychoness, never bitten any1, however she doesn't like little kids sneaking up on her when she is tied up or on the lead which worries me as she barks at them. But apart from that she’s very calm round the house, our friend has a new born and when the little one has come over she's very calm and sniffs the baby with her tail wagging then falls asleep on the floor in front of where the baby is. We don’t smother her and she’s not one for cuddles and loads of attention.

Could any GSD owners give me sum advice about introducing a dog to babies? yes I’ve google it, but being able to ask questions is better than just reading!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Slowly and never alone, she will accept the baby over time as part of her 'pack', the laying down near the baby is her watching for the babys safty.

My staffy has been the same with my youngest born in October, you will find she 'camps' near where you place the baby, its a guarding instinct, you might want to make sure you have plenty of visitors round when you have the baby first home so she dose not get too protective and still lets people in the house.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thats one thing that will never ever ever happen is the dog EVER be left alone with the baby!

When you say slowly slowly what exactly do you mean? Of course nice and calm, talking quiet, shall i give her a treat when she is calm or what?

Soldato
Never pay any attention to the dog when you are with the new born, you will have to show the dog where she lies in all of this, any growling/barking while around the baby should be met with a stern hand.

I say this because if not the dog may become jealous of the baby and as such try to bully it, generally she should understand that the baby is a "pup" and will take on a protector roll, which will be interesting when people come to visit the house and play with the new born.

But what you describe when you are out is just nervousness on the lead so you should be fine, I dont think I have to tell you that regardless of how well trained your animal is don't leave a child un-supervised with the dog untill you can explain to the child that the dog isnt a big teddy and things like pulling ears/tail will cause it to bite you.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Never pay any attention to the dog when you are with the new born, you will have to show the dog where she lies in all of this, any growling/barking while around the baby should be met with a stern hand.

I say this because if not the dog may become jealous of the baby and as such try to bully it, generally she should understand that the baby is a "pup" and will take on a protector roll, which will be interesting when people come to visit the house and play with the new born.

But what you describe when you are out is just nervousness on the lead so you should be fine, I dont think I have to tell you that regardless of how well trained your animal is don't leave a child un-supervised with the dog untill you can explain to the child that the dog isnt a big teddy and things like pulling ears/tail will cause it to bite you.

KaHn

That is one thing i will never do is leave any dog no matter how big or small with a baby!

So me smacking her if she gets to boisterous around the baby will be fine yes? Luckily i know her signs when she is about to get nasty as she hates cats, her ears go back, her fur stands up and her tail curves up.

So your saying Kahn even tho she can get nasty when kids sneak up on her she’ll be ok if properly introduced to the baby?

Soldato
Don't leave the kid alone for a second, my parents had to get rid of their german sheppard when it tried to attack my sister (newborn). It will feel threatened by the addition to the family.

Soldato
That is one thing i will never do is leave any dog no matter how big or small with a baby!

So me smacking her if she gets to boisterous around the baby will be fine yes? Luckily i know her signs when she is about to get nasty as she hates cats, her ears go back, her fur stands up and her tail curves up.

So your saying Kahn even tho she can get nasty when kids sneak up on her she’ll be ok if properly introduced to the baby?

The heckles on her back will be a big sign but not always, she has to realise that the baby is a lot smaller so shouldnt even be playful with the baby as one wrong paw could hurt the baby, a little nip etc.

You just have to show that it goes, you,wife,baby then dog not dog then baby, if you understand.

I sat use a firm hand, for my german shepherd that its a slap across his backside as he isn't interested in treats but it depends on what works with your dog.

As you said when the other couple brought the child around she reacted as she should around someone elses pup, have a sniff and ignore it, most dogs will have that instinctively placed on them but you will just have to reinforce it.

Yeah with the other kids thing it doesn't sound like it will be a problem, but you will know once you start to introduce the dog to the baby etc.

KaHn

/edit:- One big thing to say as well, its not a baby, its your baby it will have your smell and as such the dog will know this

Associate
One thing you mustn't forget is that dogs are very sensitive animals. They'll notice that the baby will be getting more attention than they are. Make sure you show the dog you love it just as much as the baby (regardless of if this is true or not).

Permabanned
I used to have a GSD, he died about 6 years ago, lived to 16 years old.

He was amazing with all 3 of my sisters kids (she lived at home with her boyfriend until they were 3, 5 and 6)

Never bitten anyone, never went for anyone, infact he put up with a lot of abuse from the 3 kids!! (trying to ride him like a horse, tail pulling etc)

Just treat the dog like you usually do and include them both in the attention if you must.

The worst thing you can do is over-react like most people usually do when the dog looks at the kid :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies all.

I've stopped taking her for a walk in the morning until the baby is born, so when the baby is here i intend to start taking her for long long runs in the morning tied to the bike (she loves it) which will nacker her out for the day. So in that respect she will always still get the same attention she gets now.

Soldato
Some relatives told me that what they did was take some of the baby's clothes and put them where the dog slept. Helped him get used to the smell more etc. Not sure if it actually helped etc. (was myself too young at the time), but remember them mentioning it.

Soldato
Just something for you to know, shouldnt really take the dog running when you are on a bike, take the dog for a run with you no problems but on a bike is a no no as the dog will keep running till it passes out, while on the bike you will be ok, if your both running the dog will out last you.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Just something for you to know, shouldnt really take the dog running when you are on a bike, take the dog for a run with you no problems but on a bike is a no no as the dog will keep running till it passes out, while on the bike you will be ok, if your both running the dog will out last you.

KaHn

Ahrite ok, when we do go on the bike its me doing a slow paced cycle as its pretty flat where i take her, however we do occational bursts where she can sprint her little heary out for a few seconds!

Soldato
Ahrite ok, when we do go on the bike its me doing a slow paced cycle as its pretty flat where i take her, however we do occational bursts where she can sprint her little heary out for a few seconds!

Sorry mate, I dont know what you do just know some people who take their dogs on 20mile bike rides etc, I take Max rabbit hunting on a night time now in an old quary near to where I live, its enclosed in cliffs and means I can let him sprint to his hearts content for aslong as he wants and he comes back when knackered :) saves me walking on my broken ankle too much :)

All the advice you will get about dogs will come down to how your dog is with you, all dogs are different, we introduced max to toddlers when he was 6 weeks old, so grew up playing with them but was always corrected when he did anything too playful etc

Just be sensible and know your dog :)

KaHn

Man of Honour
Introduce the dog as a pup and these problems will never arise, your main problems will be what the kid does to the dog not the dog to the kid.

KaHn

Perhaps, but I'd always rather be safe than sorry - over caution never hurt anyone.

Well done OP for showing the appropriate concern.

Caporegime
Glaze lightly, roast slowly, coat with a meat juice gravy and serve with a flourish.

Why do you put a
icon2.gif
at the top of all your posts? They're really not that important.

Back
Top Bottom