beating John Lewis Price match guff...

Soldato
I just phoned JL to see if they have the Panasonic tv in stock that I'd like and about their price match policy, they say it is in stock but to price match they have to send one of their 'workers' to the shop to 'investigate' before they can price match. Sounds like a load of tripe :confused: And they can't do this till mid next week now :eek::mad::rolleyes:

I've had them price match stuff before over the phone there and then.

RS up the road don't have it in stock at the moment anyway, so somehow need to wangle JL to just accept that RS have it cheaper and give me the TV tomorrow so I can buy it there and then with cold hard cash, any ideas how?

Caporegime
They won't pricematch to a store that doesn't have stock and can't give an ETA, this is just business sense since anyone can advertise a price for something they don't have.

And they have to go and check because it's in their own interest to check. What you can do is buy the TV and pay full price and submit the claim for the undersale within 30 days and get a credit.

Soldato
I just phoned JL to see if they have the Panasonic tv in stock that I'd like and about their price match policy, they say it is in stock but to price match they have to send one of their 'workers' to the shop to 'investigate' before they can price match. Sounds like a load of tripe :confused: And they can't do this till mid next week now :eek::mad::rolleyes:

I've had them price match stuff before over the phone there and then.

RS up the road don't have it in stock at the moment anyway, so somehow need to wangle JL to just accept that RS have it cheaper and give me the TV tomorrow so I can buy it there and then with cold hard cash, any ideas how?

This is correct, they do send someone to check the price. That's why it must be available instore and have a physical shelf edge label to prove the price.

Soldato
OP
And they have to go and check because it's in their own interest to check. What you can do is buy the TV and pay full price and submit the claim for the undersale within 30 days and get a credit.

this I like the sound of, is it easily done?

I'm not saying their policy is completely naff, but the shop is 200metres up the road, they could easily go check, anytime, its a big chain store (RS) not a homemade shop where the prices are written in pencil and obviously ludicrously low.

Them sending staff out to check that kind of competitor is wasting more money than the price of the phone call.

Caporegime
Its in their own interests to keep the amount of undersales they do to a minimum. Would you rather they took yours and everyone else's word for it or continued to offer an unmatched 5 year warranty on their TVs?

Soldato
I bought my TV from JL. I price matched it to a managers offer. All I had to do was give them the details after I'd checked the other branch had stock (although they offered to deliver from Scotland! haha), and they contacted me the next day via email to confirm the deal was good to go.

As I remember my 42" PZ80 cost me less than £600, pukka TV, it's inspired several mates to get plasmas now, and doesnt suffer from IR anywhere near as much as say LGs. I do get some IR, but only because it's had longer gaming runs on it etc, and its not heavily noticeable in the vast majority of cases, unless I really have solely played one thing. A couple of days of getting that UI off the screen and doing other stuff and it's good to go again :)

Back
Top Bottom