Pic Of The Day 28th November

Soldato
Todays pic is one of the best I have ever seen from the Hubble Space Telescope.

web_print.jpg

Hubble view of the Sombrero Galaxy

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has trained its razor-sharp eye on one of the universe's most stately and photogenic galaxies, the Sombrero galaxy, Messier 104 (M104). The galaxy's hallmark is a brilliant white, bulbous core encircled by the thick dust lanes comprising the spiral structure of the galaxy. As seen from Earth, the galaxy is tilted nearly edge-on. We view it from just six degrees north of its equatorial plane. This brilliant galaxy was named the Sombrero because of its resemblance to the broad rim and high-topped Mexican hat.

This piccy is from the Hubble Heritage site and therefore has lots of different size pictures that are available for download, the other images and a full text write up can be found here. The images range in size, from 9.3KB up to a staggering 211MB.:eek:

Credit:NASA and The Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

10th Nov 03 Courtesy of Berserker
09th Nov 03 Courtesy of Berserker
08th Nov 03 Courtesy of Berserker
26th Sep 03
24th Sep 03
17th Sep 03

Soldato
that is a truely fantastic picture.

it reminds me of StarWars, when the Death Star blows up the planet :o

greg

Soldato
Originally posted by diogenese
just finised D/Ling the hooge file:eek: Even the little specks are amasing!:cool:
2003-28.jpg

From the lower left/middle of the main pic.

I just spotted that one... its jaw droppingly incredible! There are hundreds of galaxies visible in that one picture!

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Dutch Guy
I think I will download the 211Mb one tonight, what size is the pic?

That pic looks almost unreal and artificial, totally amazing :eek:

The largest pic is 11472x6429 pixels. I dowloaded the 7MB version and it's great.

Back
Top Bottom