It looks like 4k will get me a nice MR2

Associate
I read something about the MR2 being great value for money and it seems they are great! Would actually be a perfect car for me at the moment while living at home and I just need something for the daily commute or to zip over to a friends house and if I need more seats I still have other cars I can use!

So with a budget of 4k I'd hope for leather and AC (they seem to be about the only options!!!) 2001 ish with about 60-80k?

Who here owns one? Are they decent? My only worry is that I'm 185cm with long legs and (relative to my height) short arms. So I tend to find that I need to have the seat really far back and so I can never pull the steering wheel close enough to me. Is the driving position fairly adjustable in the newer MR2s?

Associate
Can I pimp another site?
http://www.mr2roc.org is all about the MR2 roadster.
Just use the search first or you may get flamed!

Hardtop is another option, but you can add it later if you like (~£600)

I've got one which had been turbo'd but the stock car is fine if a little underpowered.
There isn't a lot of adjustment, the wheel goes up and down only. The seat has an up down adjustment which helps. There are plenty of tall people in MR2's someone even took the door handle off to get a good fit.
Best bet is to try one.

Things to look out for in the earlier models are engine failure due to oval bores, pre cat's breaking up and blocking the exhaust system. The signs are using oil and not revving above 4k. Get decent matching tyres as well, it's quite sensitive to mismatched front/rear.

The facelift (2003 onwards) had some worthwhile mods if you can stretch a little more.

Storage space is limited, but with fancy packing you can fit enough clothes for a decent trip in one. You can also get racks for the rear to hold luggage, although they do get a little toasty!

Last edited:
Soldato
mr2spydercs1.jpg

had to be done etc etc.

get a rev3.

Associate
There are various things you can do for more power.
2zz engine swap
v6 engine swap
Turbo (mine is quite mild with 225bhp)
Supercharger
NA tuning if that's more your thing but not massive gains for lots of money.

Mk3 was
End of 1999 - 2003 (pre facelift)
and 2003 - 2006 (post facelift obviously)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm 6'5" and love my Mr2 Mk3 bought in 2008 for 4.5k. It's a load of fun to drive and second the mr2roc.org link, when I suffered from the infamous engine failure, various members got me on the road again for a lot less than Toyota wanted. Replacement engine, labour, clutch, exhaust and manifold for under 1k!

Great community and loads of spares and upgrades available.

PM if you want more info

(It's a 2000 plate by the way) If you have the money get a 2003+

Fail. It's called a Roadster in the UK. It's no more gay than any other convertible.

Unless you are loaded and use it as a Sunday car in August, you would be a complete retard to buy a convertible in the UK. A hardtop I can understand the logic behind.

It does not matter if it is no gayer than any other convertible...........it is still gay.

Soldato
Unless you are loaded and use it as a Sunday car in August, you would be a complete retard to buy a convertible in the UK. A hardtop I can understand the logic behind.

It does not matter if it is no gayer than any other convertible...........it is still gay.

:rolleyes:
Why are you challenged by convertibles?
Also, for the record, several gay and lesbian colleagues drive coupés and hot hatches, none infact own softtops. Surely that means all coupé and hot hatches are gay vehicles too?!

Back
Top Bottom