Clio II Headlights bust...

Caporegime
Hello All

Been driving my car around with only side lights on and my fogs as my main beams suddenly stopped working last Monday :(

Now...I looked at the bulbs, and they seemed fine (nothing broken by looking at it) but hey, I changed them anyway...Noy joy obviously

I had a look at the fuses by the passanger side, and they don't seem split either...

Is there anything else I can check? The wires don't seem like they've come off from behind the bulbs...Is there anything else that could have gone? Could the stalk be at fault?

Just to clarify...Side lights work, and full beams work...it's just when I want the main beams to work on low they don't :(

Any information is appreciated...thanks all

Associate
i had a similar problem with an 07 modus (both main bulbs went simultanously, but fog and full were fine).

seems like renault still want you to go back to them and charge you through the nose to do it themselves, as its physically impossible to get your hand round the back of the lights (let alone change the bulb), without removing the bumper or wheel arch cover. both of these are held on by plastic lugs that are really easy to snap. guess where the only place you can get spare lugs from? yup. renault.

turns out its a design error in that if one bulb goes, it takes the other one with it.

we were lucky as it was still under warranty ... just. wouldve cost £90 otherwise.
[/rant]

sound like you might have a slightly different problem tho :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hello All

Been driving my car around with only side lights on and my fogs as my main beams suddenly stopped working last Monday :(
Just a point - they are not your "main beams" - your main beams are your full beams (same thing) What has stopped working is your dipped beam.

And yes, the stalk may well be at fault. Are you getting 12v at the pin on the headlamp connector?

Caporegime
OP
Just a point - they are not your "main beams" - your main beams are your full beams (same thing) What has stopped working is your dipped beam.

And yes, the stalk may well be at fault. Are you getting 12v at the pin on the headlamp connector?

Aye I always get the name incorrect, hence why I said full beams after to differentiate a bit.

And how do you mean exactly? Do you mean through a voltometer or?

And I hope the stalk isn't at fault, that'd be a bit of a git to change over I'd have thought :(

Have you tried swapping the fuses anyway - just to confirm it definitely isn't a fuse?

Yeah looked at the fuses, and changed one of them over just to double check even though there appeared to be no breaking.

Just gone to change the bulbs on my G/F's car and we've been supplied the wrong bulbs as well! I knew he picked them up a bit quick

Caporegime
OP
Yes, using a voltmeter - is there 12v at the actual headlamp connector?

If it IS the stalk (had them burn out in the past) they are generally very easy to change as they're only held on with a couple of screws on most cars.

Ah okay, Don't have a Voltmeter sadly :(...How do you get to the stalk though? Or can you link somewhere?

Everything seems to be breaking in my life at the moment, and its never easy to fix either!!! :p

Caporegime
OP
If it IS the stalk (had them burn out in the past) they are generally very easy to change as they're only held on with a couple of screws on most cars.

Sorry for bumping...

But would anyone know if I need to remove the steering wheel on my clio to get this off? And how easy / risky it is in doing so?

Soldato
I don't know what the modern French hatches are like, but on the 306, 205, Renault 5. You just need to remove the cowling around the base of the wheel...the bit where the stalk comes out of. Normally a upper and a lower section that can/have to be removed.

car_photo_210221_25.jpg

That panel where the stalk comes out of and the panels surrounding it. :)

I had this problem with the wipers on my 306 before, went through about 3 stalks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I don't know what the modern French hatches are like, but on the 306, 205, Renault 5. You just need to remove the cowling around the base of the wheel...the bit where the stalk comes out of. Normally a upper and a lower section that can/have to be removed.

That panel where the stalk comes out of and the panels surrounding it. :)

I had this problem with the wipers on my 306 before, went through about 3 stalks.

Hello

Thanks matey

Can't take the bottom part off completely as I have an radio stalk thing as well that will need removing I think (Bit of a weird design but hey ho :o)

Even then though...I can't see a 'straight' way to remove the stalk, other than removing half the side of the thing off! Which may need doing who knows...

I also cannot see a simple way of reconnecting the wire to the stalk either...It dissapears onto the 'main' part of the steering wheel and feels as if its soldered on or something?...However there is a 'thick' cable that can be removed and reconnected but I'm wondering if I remove that if it will naff anything else up :p :rolleyes:

Bah!!!! World is against me I tells ya!!!!!

Permabanned
normally the radio LMU (control thingy) is unbolted after taking the steering column shroud off..

get your head right under the steering wheel in the footwell and look upwards to see if you can see any long holes anywhere in the shroud that will probably lead to T20 screws..

once you get the cover off, you will see the main loom coming from inside the dashboard, it will split in two.. there will be cables of pretty much equal size going to your left and right stalks.

these will simply unclip from the stalk unit similar to the connectors in a head unit and elsewhere in the car, you can then undo the two/four T20 screws holding the stalk in place and remove.

fitting is reversal of above, buy a haynes manual if you do not already have one or go to your library.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would the daytime running lights relay be a possible fault?

As Bio says, get a haynes manual, i got one for £15 delivered from ebay.

To remove the shroud. lower the steering column using the lever underneath. Unclip the top cover (near the speedo etc). Use a small screwdriver to release the retaining clip on the radio stalk and withdraw, disconnect the wiring connector to the radio stalk. unscrew the three screws underneath the steering column and remove the lower shroud.

The stalk is held in place by two screws.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks all for the feedback, i'll try and post pictures of what I mean, was supposed to earlier but just didn't :(

Okay, so the radio stalk should unclip somehow then?...As I can't remove the bottom one without taking this off :p

Judging by this picture, it comes off as one block...

31363378.jpg

May have another look tomorrow...im going to the scrappy anyway so I might just order the spare

Still not sure as to where the stalk gets plugged into though? Another cable or?

Last edited:
Soldato
On the 306 I think it was a case of the stalk had 2 or 3 screws holding the main lump of it to the column area and there was ~6inches of cabling coming from that. Ideally you'd want to either follow a guide :)p) or remove the stalk then disconnect it when you know what wires are what.

From some goolging...

Very simple to replace the stalk, just remove the three screws from the bottom half of the stearing column surround and remove it, then its just two screws to remove the stalk from the big bracket that goes around the actual steering column, and disconect the multiplug. Get your new switch and put it back together.

So I think, get your head under the wheel and see what is what. :)

Caporegime
OP
On the 306 I think it was a case of the stalk had 2 or 3 screws holding the main lump of it to the column area and there was ~6inches of cabling coming from that. Ideally you'd want to either follow a guide :)p) or remove the stalk then disconnect it when you know what wires are what.

From some goolging...

So I think, get your head under the wheel and see what is what. :)

Cheers dude, much appreciated :) Normally I can locate stuff like this but I dunno, must be tired, so its apprecaited.

I'll remove the radio stalk tomorrow and get the bottom off the steering column completely ( I could move it about 2 inches so I could see most of what I needed) and then order one maybe :)

Thanks again

Caporegime
OP
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Managed to get the bottom off eventually (Theres some hidden lip that needed pulling out first)

So I can see how everything connects etc...Tried re-seating a couple of cables / pins that are on the same part of the indicator stalk but to no avail, so I'll be ordering one from the scrappy to see how that goes :)

On a plus note I've changed my G/F's sisters wing mirror over now, as someone nicely decided to punch the last one off for some reason....Just got the G/F's wing mirror to do now :p

Caporegime
OP
Meh :(

The lord DOES NOT like me for some reason

Changed the stalk, no freakin difference what so ever :( Knew this would happen

So I suddenly need to spend a £100 or so and take it to a freakin garage or something...As I can only see it being the cables unless theres some other magick part that can be changed over :(

Soldato
So I suddenly need to spend a £100 or so and take it to a freakin garage or something...

There is always the alternative of a logical fault finding sequence rather than replacing random parts...

Do you have a Haynes manual (or equivalent) for the car, or at least can you borrow one or download the wiring diagram for the car?

You can then work through the wiring starting from the headlamp connectors and work backwards through the relays, the fuses, the switches etc. If you haven't got a multimeter a small test lamp would be fine for a high current. Solder some wires onto a small instrument lamp (e.g. 1-2 watts) and make your own if necessary.

Meh :(

The lord DOES NOT like me for some reason

“The Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves” ;)

That doesn't apply to thieving ****** though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom