Boondock Saints...what a movie!

Soldato
I don't know how this one passed me by, noticed that the sequel was due out shortly so picked up the first one on the cheap. What a surprise, it's sharp, funny, entertaining, a little over the top but ultimately gone straight into my list of favorite movies, would be in my top 50 no doubt :D

Also Willem Dafoe is probably the best i've ever seen him as an overly camp gay FBI agent...quality :D

Anyone seen the sequel, any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
The first Boondock was awesome. I think there was some issue when it was released as it coincided with the Columbine Massacre and it wasn't deemed appropriate to publicise the movie.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Original one was one of those superb rental discoveries - like Enemy Of The State or The Crow - not much of a buzz when they were out in cinemas but great flicks for Saturday evening in front of telly.

The very late (10 years after original?) sequel, along with Universal Soldier: Regeneration, is without a doubt one of the leading FUUUUUUUU movies of this year - now officially known as The Worst Sequel Year. Quite literally everything that could go wrong has gone wrong - miscasted roles, bad bottox revivals, the wooden acting, flat and unevenly paced plot, wedding photography, Rob Zombie straight to video type of soundtrack etc. What's even worse, it paves the way for part 3, which considering what a stinker sequel was all it needs is Uwe Ball in directors chair and TV series to completely "highlander" what was once a solid dorm room movie night legend.

Soldato
might give it a rewatch tonight, cant remember it really!
Completely missed this and Four Brothers when they came out and ended up watching them back to back... it was a fun few hours!

Soldato
I watched the sequel without having seen the first, had to turn it off after 30mins as it was a disaster!

Is it worth me watching the first?

Associate
I think I'm one of the few but I really didn't like the first one. I'm normally quite tolerant of bad films but I just found it really really cheesy with no real substance. The whole Irish Catholic assassin thing. WTF?

Associate
I think I'm one of the few but I really didn't like the first one. I'm normally quite tolerant of bad films but I just found it really really cheesy with no real substance.

ditto, maybe cause i saw it a couple of years ago and a lot of similar types of films. It just didnt work for me, i didnt understand the hype and decent reviews people gave to this movie. Its watchable but nothing amazing imo.

Soldato
I thought it was a great film. There's nothing particulary amazing in it, but I remember it being (mostly) well paced and pretty funny in parts. Some nice lines and good set peices. The 'cat' scene comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom