Windows 7 problem???

Soldato
So a few weeks ago, after installing Windows 7 weeks before, i started to notice that the pc after being on for a few hours started to become really slow at opening folders, transferring files, deleting files, etc, and i thought that i might be the paging file, so i set that manually, but the pc was still being really slow, and started to take ages to shut down and to boot up.

Sometimes it would hang when shutting down or starting up, so turned it off by holding the power button. Now at this point it started to check the disks at boot up to for consistency, and it would delete some files but a lot of them would be unreadable. I did think that my hard drive was failing, but i checked both hard drives using HD tune and it came back with no errors, and after googling it it seems that quite a few people have had the same problem with Windows 7 and it's some sort of file management bug or something.

I restarted the pc earlier, and i couldn't access one of my hard drives, and it was saying that the hard drive is corrupt or something and that it is unreadable. Now i just restarted the pc, and that hard drive isn't even showing up in my computer.

So can anybody help me?
I'm really tired atm so sorry if some of this is badly worded, or has missing detail.

Is this a hard drive failure or a windows 7 problem?

Soldato
OP
I did think that, but i'm one of those extremely careful people about what i download/sites i go on, etc, and i doubt it'll be that, but i'm not ruling it out. I haven't installed anything recently. Not that i can remember anyway.
I don't have access to another pc so i can't do that unfortunately. Any other tests i can do?

Soldato
Sounds like what happened to me when my old HDD was failing, try playing a HD video and copying a file at the same time it used to completely screw up when I did that.

Also when it's going slow try looking at the resource monitor and see what processes are accessing the disk.

Soldato
OP
The hard drive is less than a year a a half old so it shouldn't do, but it is Seagate and i've had problems with them before so it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks. I'll have a look next time.

I really hope it isn't the hard drive though.. some of the stuff isn't back up yet. :(

Soldato
A HDD can fail within 20 minutes of plugging it into your PC. It is unlikely but still a possibility. At a year and half old it wouldn't surprise me at all. Though of course they should last much longer than that!

You might also have a RAM issue, but I would have expected BSODs and the like by now, not just weirdness with your data on the HDD. Perhaps the HDD Controller on the motherboard? To be honest the only real way to know for sure is to get the HDD in another computer. Got a sympathetic friend who wouldn't mind you taking his PC to bits? :D

Soldato
OP
Yeah i've had a Seagate fail in the first week. This was the replacement.
Yeah, alright then. I should be able to put it in my friend's brother's pc tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed it works!
Atm the pc doesn't seem to be slow.

Soldato
OP
I didn't get to test the drive today but the 2 partitions of the drive is showing again. One of them still can't be opened, but the other partition can be read and written to, but it is slow. Also the data on the drive isn't showing up, but it still says there's data there.

My mouse cursor also occassionally locks up, and this is what the users with the windows 7 problem is getting also, which is making me still think that it isn't a hard drive problem.

EDIT: Don't know why i haven't thought of it up until now, but i'll do a live boot of ubuntu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom