Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR how to keep my q6600 constantly at 2.4 ghz ? need help plz.

Associate
Hi all,
I recently bough a gigabyte EP45-UD3LR mobo and after installing windows Xp on it I realized that it is so slow.

I always have to wait when I do something like open a new window in firefox or even when clicking on the start button. So i checked if everything is working at full speed and i realized that the Cpu is only runing at 1.6 ghz on idle.

It is a Q6600 normaly working at 4 x 2.4 ghz 266mhz by 9 mult. but now it has the multi. set at 6 when idle and rise up to 9 when I luch bigger apps.
I rised the FSB to 333 mhz and it helped a little bit but the multi stays at 6 on idle.
I want to know if anyone can help me to find out :

1) how to get my cpu constantly working at 266 or 333 by 9 (ingame it is stable at 333*9)
2) if that isn't the problem, why is my pc so slow ? ( have 2x 2gb DDR 2 800 from OCZ )

I'm sorry for my english, i never learned it at school and had to learn by myself.
thank you for your help. i realy need it

Associate
Your English is very good considering you learnt it by yourself :)

The lower speed at idle is caused by Intel Speedstep which is a technology designed to save power when running at idle. If you turn that off, you'll be running at 2.4ghz constant :) However, it shouldn't make your computer noticably slower. Download CPU-Z and check if your memory is running correctly as well.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your quick answer.

I made some screens from cpuz so you can take a look.
cpuzs.png

In SPD it's the same for slot 1 and 3.

Where can i disable the Intel Speedstep ? in bios ?

THX

Associate
OP
Speedstep is disabled in bios and in OS. now it is working fine on 333*9 canstantly but my pc is still slower than before ( with my old asus mobo with only 2gb ram ) don't understand why....

Back
Top Bottom