windows defrag ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You don't really need to use any 3rd arty software. The Windows defragger is a set it and forget defrag service and works very well, gets the same results as any other defragger.

Soldato
I use a third party defraggler because I like to see what it's doing and it's a lot more customizable. Personally I'd switch off any scheduled windows defraggles to avoid any unnecessary fraggles.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It consolidates free space and defrags, what is there to see?!

Mine is set to defrag at 1am on a Sunday weekly.

The most boring maintenance task in the world is defragging so set it and forget is the course of action.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
CPU has nothing to do with defragging performance and if Windows detects you using resources while it's attempting to start a task then it will wait until you're done and the system is idle.

Soldato
Ugh, Windows 7 does it all in the background. Who cares when it is going to end? The simple fact is it gets done, and it gets done regularly. You will never have a HDD that is more than 1 or 2% fragmented unless you have done a massive amount of file deletions and uninstalls.

I have never done a single manual defrag since I first started using 7 back in BETA.

As for being able to do other stuff, you can. Windows is smart enough to only do it while there are free resources to do so.

Soldato
OP
Ugh, Windows 7 does it all in the background. Who cares when it is going to end? The simple fact is it gets done, and it gets done regularly. You will never have a HDD that is more than 1 or 2% fragmented unless you have done a massive amount of file deletions and uninstalls.

I have never done a single manual defrag since I first started using 7 back in BETA.

As for being able to do other stuff, you can. Windows is smart enough to only do it while there are free resources to do so.

sounds good and does the user account control allow the defrag to start up ? because if you have a free defrag program it won,t let you unless you turn it off :confused:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know because if you run an analysis using defrag your fragmentation will be 0%.

If a schedule is set or if you manually defrag then the drive will be defragged!

Associate
I have never seen any performance enhancement or improvement from Defragging in the past, could someone explain it's benefits over the hour or two it takes?

Back
Top Bottom