• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GTS (G80) running full fan speed constantly

Associate
Hi People,

For the last couple of weeks, my 8800GTS G80, has been running full fan speed for no apparent reason.. is there anything I can make slow down with. I've tried using Rivatuner, to no avail.. is there anything else I could try?

If not, I am open to 3rd party coolers (but they look few and far between for G80 iterations of the 8800GTS).

Thanks, Jake.

Caporegime
Take the case off and clean all of the accumulated crap from around the heatsink.

A friends 8800GTS 320 started running its fan @ full speed and after he cleaned out the crap (not just the crap on the fan) it went back to normal.

Associate
OP
Take the case off and clean all of the accumulated crap from around the heatsink.

A friends 8800GTS 320 started running its fan @ full speed and after he cleaned out the crap (not just the crap on the fan) it went back to normal.

I cleaned it out not that long ago to be honest.. there was a lot of crap.. but it didn't do much.. I also applied some themal paste to the GPU Core.

I will try the RivaTuner Guide, thanks billysielu.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Says 50c-52c..

untitled-1.jpg

Edit: I've been reading that my card may not support fan speed editing.. I only have 2 cables going to the fan in the card..

If this is the case, does any one of a 3rd party graphics card cooler?

Last edited:
Associate
My 8800 only has one speed, I had to replace the fan a few months back because it had become too noisy. This was probably due to being run at full speed all the time.

Associate
When you put the thermal paste on the GPU, did you disturb any of the wires? Seems like maybe the blue fan control wire might be loose?

Back
Top Bottom