Need to buy a laptop today!

Associate
My laptop is kaput but I'm starting an assignment on Monday for which I need my own hardware. So I need to buy a new one today from a shop. I don't fancy being ripped off from the usual high street places... so any ideas?

Associate
depends where you live i guess

also you could use any of the online etailers because they pretty much do saturday delivery

Soldato
I'm pretty sure their prices are as cheap as online etailers, but you have the pleasure of seeing a product in the flesh and taking it home with you that day, you should feel clean and renewed.

Associate
OP
They were a little more expensive. Actually the sales guy was quite knowledgable and very helpful. I always thought of them as a rip-off, but I'll probably go there again. Went for a Sony Vaio F, Intel i7, 1080p, 6GB RAM. Quite pleased with it.

Associate
You bought that?? Is that the 16.4" version. I just went into **World on TCR, London.. just to check out what the resolution looks like (high res on a relatively small screen compared to 24"'s etc). Anyway, I used this Sony system.. it would cost an arm and a leg though!

How are you finding the HD screen? I'm currently thinking Dell Studio 15 with 1080p screen. That would be on a 15.6" though.. even smaller!.. im a bit confused as to whether or not its a good idea.

Associate
OP
Yes I bought it. The screen is great and very bright. The profile it comes with is a bit blue, but someone posted up a really good profile they came up with using a Spyder, and all is good.

The Dell screens are very good so I hear. Once you start speccing up the Dells they're nearly as expensive, and you have to wait for delivery. The build quality on my last one was a bit suspect too.

Associate
Ive customised a very similar system to the one you have. Only difference is the 6GB of ram you have vs. 4GB i specced (£180 extra for 2GB increase to 6GB @ Dell!). Final price; £600. The screen is the same res but 15.6 vs. 16.4. You must have paid ~£1k..

Back
Top Bottom