• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5770 - Catalyst 10.2 - problems :-(

Soldato
Bought a new XFX 5770 XXX to replace my now dead 8800GT, wiped the nVidea drivers and installed the XFX with Cat 10.2's from the ati website...

i keep getting weird errors, random reboots... i took a couple of screenshots here:

errorlq.jpg

error2c.jpg

i've no idea whats wrong, simpleton gamer like me. Can anyone give any advise or provide a stable driver version which i could use for windows XP please?

bit gutting when you're new card is worse than the old one stability wise...

also, less important but - in Need for Speed: Shift... i have had to lower the graphics settings, not something i was expecting from this supposed upgrade to the 5770, any ideas why that might be?

Thanks,

Associate
its quite possible that it hasnt uninstalled properly ive had plenty of problems with this.

without a clean install or being tested in another machine i see how its possible to rule out a driver problem. Even more so since its xp which doesn't support multiple graphics drivers and cards of different brands out of the box like win7 does.

Soldato
OP
i un-installed the nVidea drivers through add/remove programs and rebooted into windows before shutting down and installing the new card and then installing the ATI drivers followed by a restart.

Windows keeps popping up with new hardware found and that it wants to install drivers but I've no idea why.

Soldato
OP
how do you mean what does it say?

Device manager, under Display Adapter has -
"ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series"

what would the HD Audio come under?

Associate
Will just removing all Nvidia Products from Add or Remove Programs uninstall every Nvidia software on your Rig...

Or are there some really awkward drivers which you have to go into the depths to find xD

Associate
Frankly - backup everything and re-install windows. It will be quicker in the long run.

If you don't want to do that then:

1. Re-download the ATI drivers (make sure it doesn't happen instantly or it's probably a cached version)
2. Use add/remove programmes to remove EVERYTHING with NVidia or ATI/AMD in the title. Now reboot.
3. Install the freshly downloaded drivers.

If this does not work then:

A. Reset BIOS to stock settings (should be an option somewhere - reset to optimal settings or something like that).
B. Follow step 2 from above.
C. Download a programme called 'driver sweeper' from the internet (make sure you download from a reputable source).
D. Run driver sweeper to totally remove all NVidia and ATI/AMD drivers.
E. Follow step 3 from above.

If this hasn't worked then reinstall windows.

If re-installing windows has not worked you have a few options:
i) Live with it and run 10.1
ii) Try to RMA (although I'd try it in another PC first)
iii) E-mail your card provider and ATI support to see if they can help

C64

C64

Soldato
uninstall everything download driver sweeper select ati and nvidia hit clean reboot when prompted
cancel any attempt to install new hardware then install ati drivers

Soldato
OP
would the nVideo PhysX thing effect the card? It seems its part of the NFS: Shift installation (i uninstalled it when removing the nVidea Drivers) and then went to play 'Shift' on the 5770 and it moaned about missing files...

After un-installing and re-installing the game the nVidea PhysX had come back... just strikes me as weird to have nVidea software on a machine which doesn't have an nVidea card.

could this be the cause?

Back
Top Bottom