Any Advice on trying to join the RAF ?

Associate
Hi all im looking for any information or guidance to joining up with the RAF,

Im currently 29 and Single (renting a house)
I have been looking through the RAF website an took the mock apptitude test ok i need to swat up here but its something i want to do

i always feel i have missed out on a career / trade (i do telesales) and would like to try

Logistics / Supplier, from the discription this sounds pretty interesting to me, something different each day etc,

Can anyone help me out with what, where an how parts an i know it would be hard going trying to keep up with the younger guys but im willing to give it a go has anyone else about my age joined any of the forces? how did you find it?

thanks for any information or guidance

Mark

Associate
go into your local AFCO. They'll be able to talk you throught the careers available to you. I'm unsure about the RAF atm, but the navy are holding back on new logistics recruits due to the sheer number of applicants (at least for officers, not 100% sure on ratings). So ask what sort of timeframe you could look at joining

My brother is in RAF logistics and thoroughly enjoys it, but as I said there may be another path which could appeal to you.

Associate
Apply sooner rather than later. I'm going through the application process now (and have been since November) and have yet to get as far as OASC.

From what I heard in the careers office yesterday very few roles actually have any vacancies, so Logistics/Supplier may not even be open for another few months if it's one of those.

Associate
OP
Dont do drugs anyways,

and im not looking for an officers role right now so thanks guys ill give them a ring when i get home from work,

was kinda hoping for some "yes ive done it an its this that an the other"

Well i am 29 an its a very long time since ive done studying so swating up for any tests would be a bonus would it not :) yes the test was basic but im sure some of the questions in the real test would be quite hard

Permabanned
do you get to fly airplanes if you join the RAF ?

or is that only if you studied to be a private pilot ?

I am guessing you can't just sign up and then fly planes, what is the process required before you can fly planes, like f16 etc ?

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm a supplier myself mate, and have been for going on 11 years now so I'll gladly answer any trade related questions I can for you.

You are right in thinking it's a highly varied trade, there are some very simple and mind numbing jobs out there but they are becoming few and far between these days. 10 or more years ago, supply was for the most part just warehouse work, with limited supply chain management roles. But these days the opposite is true, with the limited budgets and lack of spares we deal with today, the job is a lot more demanding and very much high profile.

You really can find yourself doing everything from managing supply chain for aircraft avionics (my job in a sentence) to aviation/ground fuels, there are still the warehouse and office jobs as well. If you're that way inclined there is still Tactical Supply Wing, refuelling helicopters in the field, and on operations you can find yourself doing jobs ranging from exactly the same as you do back home to driving in supply convoys through the desert and everything in between.

As for getting through basic training, i wouldn't let your age bother you (apart from getting in as fast as you can to beat the cut off age of course), you'll be surprised how many kids join up these days without even a half decent level of fitness. As long as you are reasonably fit and are willing to train you'll do fine. The required fitness test standard is only 9.10 on the bleep test, 20 press-ups in 60 seconds and 35 sit-ups in 60 seconds, so it's not exactly hard.

If you've got anything more specific I'll happily answer as much as I can.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies so far Eddie i might pick your brain some more just need to get ringing 1st i think

I have just split from my ex (oct/nov) an managed to loose 3stone so the fitness part is easy enough there

I currently work for a Food distribution company so Logistics is interesting to me and one of the biggest draws towards the job description is the "different everyday" i like diversity and learning new stuff it sounds like it could be a perfect job but ill have to see

this may just be the 1st step of a very long journey for me as its something ive hankered after for years but always had something holding me back,

eddie do you get to travel much? ever been based outside of the uk, an whats the initial training curve like, you must see new recruits coming into the ranks any advice there? you say that it is high profile? want to explain a bit more there? also would your day to day stuff entail different stuff i mean i do an office job right now, an its mega boring i want to be out there helping out etc paper work is ok but i want to be able to do other stuff outside of an office enviroment as well, can you do everything or is it kinda specific if i choose,

the money part is of no interest to me whatso ever i doubt i would get officer rank so a nice long term job with good company an new skills is what im going for

ill ring tonight and update with what they say Sheffield would be the closes centre for me,

Last edited:
Soldato
Go for movements instead of supplier. Im currently working with a movements Sgt and some of the things he has told me about and the places he has gone sound brilliant! It's such a diverse trade you can do all sorts. Go down to the afco and see if there is a mover about to talk to :)

Associate

If you train to be a pilot and pass through an incredibly rigorous selection process then yes.

Nope.

I am guessing you can't just sign up and then fly planes, what is the process required before you can fly planes, like f16 etc ?

Lengthy application process including many tests/interviews/officer selection (for full list see the RAF website or AFCO).

No f16's though as we don't use them.

Soldato

top a levels , top marks in aptitude tests , tops marks in training

basically you need to be top of your class and then top of any higher classes they move you into. the best of the best etc.

Soldato
You need to get to the AFCO asap, when I was in and out the office starting my app a lot of people seeing RAF were seemingly getting turned away for a year because of the waiting...

Not sure what it is like now, this was back last summer

Associate
OP
that doesnt sound to good with geting turned away :(

the raf website lists Mover as many applicants whereas the supplier does not, ill ask about both as this field does interest me

Back
Top Bottom