*** Official BioShock 2 Thread ***

Soldato
:| is this actully like the first title then appart of your the big daddy? just playing number 1

The big daddy part is utterly irrelevant, you take the same damage as you did without suit in the first 1. They tweaked some things, altered some gameplay elements, but essentially its the same game, copy/pasted with some 'new' guns and a new storyline.

Soldato
as long as the story line is different and they added a few things I will deffo get it

Different storyline, a few things changed like research and hacking, streamlined a few things in character development, some new enemies, some new gameplay elements, 'new' guns (meaning similar to the old ones, some with new skins).

It is a good game but they didn't make any effort to adapt the gameplay.

Associate
I don't get how being like the first one is a bad thing. It's a equal, what did you expect? The only thing that I didn't like about it is that the storyline isn't quite as engaging and the main characters just went on about a load of rubbish all of the time.

Soldato
I don't get how being like the first one is a bad thing. It's a equal, what did you expect? The only thing that I didn't like about it is that the storyline isn't quite as engaging and the main characters just went on about a load of rubbish all of the time.

No, its IDENTICAL to the first one. When you get the Big Daddy suit in the first 1, you were given a 50% damage reduction. They didn't even bother trying to adapt the game to the new main character.

Soldato
I loved the story. It's one of the only games where I have actually cared about a character in the game. I was on the edge of my seat at one point near the end, praying nothing bad was going to happen to the character in question.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Finished my first... and second play thru yesterday.
First on hard, second just a quick run thru on easy to nab achievements I had missed.

Really enjoyed it, I feel the first one had more jumpy bits in it and had a less fractured feel.
Multiplayer looks interesting too.. might give it a go tonight.

One thing I would reccomend however is playin it thru on hard for your first run thru.
Easy is far too easy and spoils it.

Soldato
No, its IDENTICAL to the first one. When you get the Big Daddy suit in the first 1, you were given a 50% damage reduction. They didn't even bother trying to adapt the game to the new main character.

In fairness, on Medium difficulty the game is already too easy for most of the second half, they could not have possibly given you anymore damage reduction. The gameplay and plasmids do offer amazing combat variations though. Overall, I really enjoyed it apart from the usual problems.

Soldato
In fairness, on Medium difficulty the game is already too easy for most of the second half, they could not have possibly given you anymore damage reduction. The gameplay and plasmids do offer amazing combat variations though. Overall, I really enjoyed it apart from the usual problems.

No its easy because there are first aid kits, eve hypos and cash everywhere. It would've been a far better experience as a Big Daddy to have to heal less often and have less healing items around than to be doping yourself up to the eyeballs every time you fought a Big Daddy/Sister, in Little Sister defences and the odd fight. Its still a good game in its own right but you really can see where they put no effort into changing things.

On that note i really should finish this, reached Fontaine Futuristics and got distracted by Call of Pripyat.

Man of Honour
It definitely gets better as you get more powerful. Liked the story too. A strong 8/10.

Aye I agree with that, it was very enjoyable. At the end I thought there was a good balence of keeping the best parts of the original and giving it a few expansions.

************Spoilers***********

I did understand what people were saying on the earlier levels, it was very similar to the first except you made a lot more noise jumping around. However as it went on you became more powerful. But then so did enemies. Yes there were the same things as Bioshock 1 in the beginning, but they expanded it; hence why this could have been a large (but really good) expansion pack.

I completed it on hardest, without any real issues. There are far too many first aid kits and hypos, especially once you increase their capacities, and use other tonics that allow e.g. a bit of one or the other everytime you did a hack, or extra nutrition from eating food. Hacking a first aid point as well was too generous. I lost count of how many big fat deep voiced splicer men I got to 20% health who then went onto kill themselves. Eve Link was invaluable as soon as I could get it.

There's also too much money around, earlier on in the game I'd occasionally run out and have to drill/melée but not for long. Once a machine's hacked more effective ammo (armour piercing rounds, heavy duty rivets, solid slugs) with a good aim meant enemies were cheap and the normal splicers were easy.

The fact that there's too much money around is compounded by me being able to use Freeze III plasmid as soon as I could get it. I killed almost all the remaining fat men splicer and Big Daddies this way; by shattering them you don't usually get bodies to search but still found finances everywhere else. There's also something I think a bit too wrong and easy with being able to freeze and destroy a Big Daddy (or a better series) with one rocket spear in the head.

However there was one thing I couldn't do very well, and that was protect the Little Sisters from gathering Adam. Even with few entrances to the area in question, and me setting up defences (mini turret, trap rivets and proximity mines) I could barely do the first gather. And I couldn't do any more. However again, because of how effective Winter Blast III was, I didn't use any other plasmids (never even tried Insect Swarm, Hypnotise, Scout, Security Command or Cyclone Trap) and didn't bother with getting more tonics (once as said, I'd slowed down hacking etc.). This meant I had a huge surplus of Adam at the end with doing just the one gather. You also got them from Big Sisters, and if you healed all the Little Sisters, I was given a few teddy bears.

I'm a huge fan of keeping the good points of previous games, and the atmosphere and the "thrill" aspect of #2 was equally good. I jumped a few times, and the bit where you're the Little Sister and you see Rapture through her eyes, but then for a second it flips back to "normal" view.. creepy. :o

The game length and music score were pretty decent.

Associate
I didn't like the gathering at all. If I had realised that most of the Adam would be wasted on plasmids / tonic slots I didn't need I would have ignored it completely and enjoyed the game a lot more.

It's a good game, but having played both of them back to back and while Bioshock 2 is still a good game I personally believe that Bioshock 1 is the better game.

Soldato
How could you not 'need' tonic slots? Plasmids slots is fair enough, i only use the starting 3 (though cyclone sounded good from what people have said), but Tonics you get loads of good ones.

Associate
Well I did end up filling my tonic slots, but only because I didn't need any of the other plasmids. Even then I used tonics that I wouldn't have used if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in Adam.

The difficulty just doesn't scale at all. It's the only game I've played where it starts off hard and just gets easier as you go on. The entrance of the first Big Daddy Alpha was decent but I was left massively disappointed when I shot it 5 times in the head and it died before it even got close to me. By the end of the game you're so powerful that none of the enemies provide a challenge at all.

And yes, this is playing it on Hard.

Soldato
Then apparently you have a much bigger gun than i do. Big Daddies don't die in 5 shots with anything. They are definatly harder than in the first 1, where the moment you unlocked the Grenade Launcher you just upgraded the damage and flattened any Big Daddy with ease. The launcher in this 1 is nowhere near as powerful.

Has anyone tried out the multiplayer? I gave it a go for an hour or 2, its decent but a bit of a cluster****, especially when weapons are unlocked based on rank so you spend the first few hours getting killed by everyone who has unlocked the Grenade Launcher...

Associate
I'm not talking about the normal Big Daddies. I'm talking about the Alpha series ones you fight later in the game.

The first couple of normal Big Daddy fights where very hard, but once I had a fully upgraded shotgun it was a lot easier.

Associate
As with the first, really enjoyed this game. Finished one evil play through, then one 'good' play through. Absolutely love the level design and making sure I explore every nook and cranny.
Great weapons, especially the spear gun. 9/10 from me.

Criticisms:

Itemisation needs an overhaul. There's simply too many searchable containers so it's rare not to have the maximum amount of everything. They need to return to System Shock 2 levels of loot where you'll open a container actually excited about finding decent stuff that you actually need.

Associate
I just picked this game up today, however, I get an error saying "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).

Still haven't found a solution :(

Any ideas?

Edit - It turned out to be a dodgy games for windows live installation causing the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom