Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Caporegime
thanks ive done that so far so good, ill keep you's posted thanks!!

It was most likely the Turbo Boost causing it, at 20x200 turbo would have been taking your chip to 21x200=4200mhz.

You might be able to re-enable the other two settings (for power saving) but it's generally not recommended when overclocking so heavily.

Associate
Thanks! I tried re-enabling enhanced halt and eist function but system started crashing again! why would enabling those bring in instability again? thanks

Soldato
C1E reduces the core voltage/speed as the CPU idles. If it doesn't switch fast enough when a load appears there's not enough voltage for the overclocked speed and you get errors. Iirc with Gigabyte board C1E is disabled when using manual voltages, even if the C1E option is enabled. EIST is the Intel speedstep, kinda similar but with dynamic steps depending on load. With Turbo enabled and the other C-states you may have even had one of your cores using a x22 multi, 4.4Ghz, in single thread apps.

Having said all that the only one I don't use is C1E as I've seen problem. Still, even with all the Turbo, DVID, EIST, C5C6C7 etc, mines still stable over 4GHz. For years I avoided using any power-saving features, but I find it all seems to work fine. Generally, get it all stable. Then turn each back on one at a time until something gives.

Last edited:

jij

jij

Associate
Welcome to the forum. Looks ok to start with, obviously first thing is to get the baseclock up a bit. Get the ram nearer its stock speeds and push the uncore bandwidth
After a bit more tinkering with voltages I've got to 3.9GHz (186x21) with no standby/multi start cold boot issues.

Memory is x8 = 1488 Mhz
QPI x 36 = 6696
VCore set to 1.33V, (but only seems to achieve 1.28V or so in CPU-Z)
QPI/Vtt at 1.35V
DRAM at 1.66V
temp max at 68°C in Prime95

I'll test this for a few more days to check it's completely stable and then might go for 4GHz.

OT but failed to get my Zotac GTX275 to get more than about 5% performance gain. pathetic!

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of people are saying this issue is with UD5 board, drop your OC and if you still have the problem then maybe yes but more than likely it will be fine; meaning it's the OC settings and not the board itself. I researched this problem loads and eventually was lucky enough to find a OC enthuseast who works in a third party support forum for gigabyte. I posted a templated of my overclocked settings and he posted back with "alternative" suggestions. After updating the bios and redoing the overclock myself, I now have a perfectly stable system @4.2 ghz which also sleeps and resumes (another supposed problem with ud5 aswell). If you want to have a look at my bios settings to try them yourself PM me.
Bear in mind I'am using the 4ghz bundle with the patriot memory. Thanks.

Hi Wheelscene,

Can you send me a copy of te bios settings. I have the bundle as you. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advanced.
Bashy.

Associate
11 Pages of info on here now, anyone got a definative answer to sort this.......

Have the same problem and its really winding me up,

ATM its really looking like a RMA.

When its running its fine and benchy's well but just want to come home and use it not play around for several hours playing with settings that work well till the comp is off for a while..

Please help I have read so many different Ideas with this board and I have run out of ideas.

Specs In Sig

Associate
Your sig does not have much info....

If you have a cold boot issue it is because your overclock is unstable end of.

Take time to work out a stable overclock and all will be fine.

Matt

Associate
Should be In sig now

I have spent ages Overclocking and setting different Voltages,

When it is Overclocked it will run extremely stable and run prime for hours on end, but as soon as I shut it down for a long period, loses Overclock and I have to start again, Reset Cmos, run optimised, boot, let it get warm, reboot, load oc setting, save reboot, and then it should be fine.

Till next Off period

Associate
Your sig was too big!

Read THE RULES.

It only drops the overclock when it fails to boot and thats because your overclock is unstable.

Post your bios settings and we can assist you.

Matt

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry is that sig better??

Here's my Bios Settings i am running the F10 Bios

cpu clock ratio = 20x
turbo boost = Disabled
cpu cores enabled = all
multithreading = Disabled
enhanced halt = Disabled
c3/c6/c7 state = Disabled
thermal monitor = Disabled
eist function = Disabled
bi-directional prochot = Disabled
qpi clock ratio = auto
uncore = 16x
isochronous support = enabled
bclk = enabled
bclk frequency = 200
pci=e frequency = 100
c.i.a.2 = disabled
cpu clock drive = 700mv
pci-e clock drive = 700mv
cpu clock skew = 0ps
ioh clock skew = 0ps
performance enhance support = standard
extreme memory profile = Profile 1 (But have tried both and that makes no difference
system memory multiplier = 8.0
dram timing selectable = quick

cas latency time = 9
trcd = 9
trp = 9
tras = 24
command rate = Auto
load line calibration = Disabled
cpu vcore = 1.375v
qpi/vtt = Auto (Gets adjusted to 1.35 with Memory Profile)
ioh core = 1.3v
dram voltage = Auto (Gets adjusted to 1.65 with Memory Profile)

cpu pll = auto
pci-e = auto
qpi pll = 1.3v
ioh core = 1.3v

ich i/o = 1.60
ich core = 1.26v

Temps are fine idle 41 max load 73 (prime95 12hrs)

BTW thanks for help

Associate
OK not a bad start. I am on F10 also.

What is your cpu D0 or C0?

Known fact X58 GIG boards are better with odd cpu clock ratios (19, 21)
Multi treading off will give lower temps (turn it on).
uncore is best at x17 (Ram x 2 + 1)
Bclk try 191 with 21 cpu clock ratio = 4Ghz
Qpi/vtt try 1.3V
load line calibration on
cpu v core try 1.35
dram voltage set to 1.66
cpu pll set to 1.8

All other settings leave as is.

Feed back to me when done.

Matt

Last edited:

abs

abs

Associate
just got my i7 930 rig up and running but one little problem. when i first connected the power lead to the psu and hit the power button on the front of my corsair 800d nothing happened. i opened up the side and pressed the power button on the mobo (ud5) and everything fired up. now the system will restart ok but if i shut it down completely and press the power button on the front nothing happens and i have to press the button on the board. this wasn't happening before on the same board but different case. any suggestions?

abs

abs

Associate
just got my i7 930 rig up and running but one little problem. when i first connected the power lead to the psu and hit the power button on the front of my corsair 800d nothing happened. i opened up the side and pressed the power button on the mobo (ud5) and everything fired up. now the system will restart ok but if i shut it down completely and press the power button on the front nothing happens and i have to press the button on the board. this wasn't happening before on the same board but different case. any suggestions?

sorted now had the pwr cable connected to wrong pins D'oh:o all working now :D

Back
Top Bottom