• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More fermi speculation

Man of Honour
Anyone actually bothering to wait for these?

No - unless the 480 is competitive with the 5970 (less than 5% slower or faster) or I happen to get the upper end of my bonus this year (and have cash to spare) I won't be buying, I decided to wait til the refresh or I actually have a need for DX11 first.

Caporegime
lol, the 470gtx is only 20% faster than a 285gtx, yet a 480gtx, with a whole 12% more shaders, is going to be what, an extra 60% faster?

Sounds to me more like someone has managed to find out a little on the 470gtx performance, and is one of those partners without a 480GTX so is using the 60% faster than 5870 crap Nvidia was spouting months ago.

That or the whole lot is utter bull, which wouldn't be surprising, if the 470gtx is at most 25% faster than a 285gtx, at twice the transistor count(minus 12-13% turned off), its a joke. I'm expecting it to be a tad faster than 25% over a 285gtx, but not by much.

If you would guess a full 512 shader part at full expected clocks would be somewhere 70-80% faster than a 285gtx, take away the clock target miss of 25%, 12% of the shaders, and some wasted transistors on things that won't help with gaming sucking another 10%, and I'd think the 470GTX would end up 35% or so faster than a 285gtx.

Man of Honour
What a waste of time that would be... might as well have slapped DX11 on the 200b design, clocked the **** out of it and be done.

Caporegime
Will give one of these top end nvidia cards preference over an ATI card (just for a change as I have had a few higher end ATI cards of late). Expect them to obviously be expensive, just hope they aren't insanely high and also that they are not noisey! :D

bru

bru

Soldato
Ok so taking what has been suggested in this thread, the gtx470 is about 20% or 25% faster than a gtx285.

so after looking toms graphics charts (cue the groaning form certain forum members....well i now its not perfect but it gives a rough indication).

we see on this chart...

Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks

the baseline Nvidia gtx285 scores 1795
so an extra 25% 0n top would bring that up to .......2243.75

this puts it right between the 5870 at 2150.70 and the gtx295 at 2443.80

about 4.5% faster than the ATI 5870 (is this possibly what Mr C was referring too..?)

now as for the gtx480 they don't give a percentage but the ATI 5970 is 59% faster than the baseline gtx285

i would have to agree with drunkenmaster in saying that the difference between the gtx470 and the gtx480 shouldn't be that big.

we will have to wait and see if these numbers are anywhere near right or if Mr C's the gtx480 is only 5% faster than a ati 5870 is nearer the mark.

i wouldn't be surprised if its a case of taking the end of each scale, as in in the best situations these numbers look about right but in the worst of cases Charlie's numbers are more correct.

Caporegime
i wouldn't be surprised if its a case of taking the end of each scale, as in in the best situations these numbers look about right but in the worst of cases Charlie's numbers are more correct.

Once you factor in newer drivers than when those tests were done, and some pretty nice performance improvements since and apparently some great ones coming in 10.3, I'd think the 470gtx isn't on average 5% ahead right now. Charlies "source" said that was the average performance, not worst case, and the best case was only in one benchmark. Its very likely we'll come across a game the 5970 sucks badly in crossfire with, with crossfire basically not working or even worsening scores and seeing the 480gtx compared in that game. In reality, I wouldn't have expected it to be more than 30% faster in real world use in Nvidias best games, much like the 285gtx was now and then. Considering its missed its clock targets by 20-25%, I'd be unsurprised to see it below in some games, ahead in others and average of 5-10% ahead.

Rroff, not sure what you mean, or not sure you know what I mean.

To date we've rarely if ever seen a 100% performance jump from one generation to another, new architecture or not, 80% is about what you'd aim for. SO I'm saying the 480gtx would be aiming for about that, if its aiming to be 80% faster, but missing gpu clocks by 25%, you're down to being 55% faster, minus 10% because a lot of transistors went on things that won't help gaming in the slightest(infact a heck of a lot more than that most likely), and you're down at around 45% for the 480gtx, and with 12% or so less shaders i'd say the 470gtx will only end up about 35% faster than the card its trying to beat.

Considering if they'd hit their clock targets, that would be about 55-60%, obviously thats clearly way out of the leagues of an overclocked 200b chip. Problem is, they have missed clock targets considerably, you can't just ignore the fact it was never in a million years going to double performance as designed, this isn't the 2 pipelines up to 4 pipelines graphics days with that being the only limit involved. When you factor in a 25% drop in performance, because that is what you get from 25% lower clocks, then you're clearly going to be 25% short of where you were aiming.

Not only would an aim of 60%(for the lower end of the new gen, 80% for the high end) be WAY out of the realms of an overclocked 200b, they of course did try to shrink a 200b, and they couldn't do it AT ALL, let alone with massive overclocks involved.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thanks to catching my mum in a good mood while she had her credit card with her i now have a pair of 5870 vapor-X's so im not fussed what fermi is like when its released as i wont need to upgrade for a fair while yet :D

Back
Top Bottom