Windows 7 RC to full version - confused!

Soldato
I'm going to do a backup first either way. But i have a load of crap transfered by windows easy transfer last time that i may try and get rid of.

I cant remeber if my raid is hardware or software is there a way to check (assuming i have completly forgotton how i did it in the first place)

Caporegime
Sorry - to just clear a bit of confusion up on my behalf. I can use an upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium to upgrade my laptop? It's currently got a full installation of Vista Business on it. Will I get the option to wipe this off and install Windows 7 fresh during setup? Or will it throw a wobbly and demand I have Windows 7 Professional instead?

EDIT: Never mind. I'll slap an old version of Windows XP on. That should be enough to qualify.

Last edited:
Soldato
My W7 build 7100 is expiring in a few days as well, but I was sure it isn't supposed to end until June 1010 - so what happened there?

Associate
Hello Doug17,

From a quote:
This is a reminder post for all the Windows 7 users still using the Release Candidate (build 7100) that was released to the public in May 2009. Bi-hourly shutdowns of this build will begin on March 1, 2010. This means that the user will be told to install a released version of Windows and their PC will shut down automatically every two hours. On June 1, 2010, if you are still on the Windows 7 RC, your license will expire and the non-genuine experience will be triggered. Your wallpaper will be removed and "This copy of Windows is not genuine" will be displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop, above the taskbar. Starting on February 15, 2010, Windows 7 RC should have started giving daily prompts to remind you about the expiration.

If you want to continue using Windows 7, we recommend moving over to the Windows 7 RTM (build 7600) that was released to the public in October 2009. Microsoft explained that this would happen when it gave out free copies of the beta (which has already expired) and RC builds, and you've had plenty of time to move over. If you haven't reinstalled a final copy of Windows, do so as soon as possible so as to avoid problems in the next few weeks.

To buy and to see prices:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Associate
To clarify: if you opt not to reformat (i.e keep your old data), will your files be left as they are on the HDD? I understand that the installation program will save your windows and program files folders, but what about everything else on the drive?

Soldato
What about my Raid array will i lose it if i format and reinstall. The raid is not on the OS drive its on a storage drive.

If you set up your RAID array in Windows, then yes you will probably lose it. If it is hardware RAID [i.e. you set it up from the BIOS] then what OS you run will have no impact. The new OS will see it without any problems.

I was under the impression I could just buy a license and change the code from within control panel.

If you could, why would you want to? It may be a Release Candidate, but anything may have been changed in the many months between its release and the full retail release. I have noticed a few issues have gone away since installing the full RTM version that existed in the RC.

Back
Top Bottom