Abit IP35pro died - recommendations please

Associate
My Abit IP35pro has died after 3 years with a 7F error which I can't find a fix for online.

I run a Q6600 at 3.2 and would like crossfire with 2 fast slots in case I get another 5850 at some point in the future.

I was considering going up to an i7 but not sure it's really worth the cost over just replacing my board unless anyone thinks otherwise. It's not like an i7 is particulaly cheap especially when I have to buy new RAM. Money isn't really an issue for me but I don't want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

So.

Options - buy an i7 setup IF it makes a noticable difference

or

buy a new 775 board, I've no idea what is a decent 775 board anymore.

Soldato
What have you tried to fix the 7F?

From what I know 7F is something to do with the BIOS, and likely a corruption of some sort.

Is the battery okay? Have you tried the usual barebones setup (remove all but CPU, 1 stick of RAM in slot 1, GPU and HDD) to see if it will boot?

Apparently a deep CMOS reset (unplug from mains, remove battery and leave for at least 15mins) and holding INSERT whilst booting could get you up and running.

You may need to try switching on several times, but with any luck it will get you to the bios where you can hopefully save your settings and get it running again.

Failing that, you could also try purchasing a replacement BIOS chip and see how that goes. They can normally be had for around £10 IIRC.

Soldato
My Abit IP35pro has died after 3 years with a 7F error which I can't find a fix for online.

I run a Q6600 at 3.2 and would like crossfire with 2 fast slots in case I get another 5850 at some point in the future.

I was considering going up to an i7 but not sure it's really worth the cost over just replacing my board unless anyone thinks otherwise. It's not like an i7 is particulaly cheap especially when I have to buy new RAM. Money isn't really an issue for me but I don't want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

So.

Options - buy an i7 setup IF it makes a noticable difference

or

buy a new 775 board, I've no idea what is a decent 775 board anymore.

There's plenty of IP35-Pros selling on Fleabay but if not, you could try and pickup a cheap P45 board from the MM.

Associate
OP
As a last resort I plugged my 8800GTX in and managed to get it going. The minute I put my 5850 in back to 7F. I've got a saphire 3650 as well, nothing....

This is really wierd. The IP35pro has done a couple of wierd things to me in the past, but messing with it for an hour usually gets it going again.

It's wierd how a GTX works fine and the Radeon's just don't give any output. I was messing with eyefinity before I lost my display ...

Maybe not all is lost yet and I'll mess with it more before progressing with another purchase.

Associate
OP
I think it's really screwed. After a few seconds in W7 I get graphics corruption with the 8800GTX. Neither of the ATI cards will even boot to BIOS :/

Soldato
I would try flashing it with the last stable bios (17 IIRC) just in case something has got corrupted along the way. Its amazing sometimes the difference it can make.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions Diggsy.

I flashed up to 17 (after an hour of figuring out how to make a bootable USB key) and still no different. Board is definately screwed :(

Soldato
Thats a shame :(

Post in the Wanted section for an IP35Pro. I am sure someone has one lying around. They normally sell on here for about £30-35 or so.

Associate
OP
I can't remember but it's proper screwed. I spent best part of 2 nights messing with the pc with the laptop on googling codes like crazy :(

Just considering whether to press the buy button:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Intel X58Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C9)
Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1156 / 1366)

I've got a couple of 120mm Yateloons I could stick on the VX.

That lot works out pretty much bang on £600. I know I'm prob best off just getting a P5Q or something but I despise rebuilding my whole PC for no benefit :(

Associate
The benefit would be you spending £60 ish on a replacement m/b and saving £500 ish by NOT buying an i7 setup. Your Q6600 should still be capable of doing everything you need.

Everyone get's the upgrade itch - be strong :)

I'd wager you being able to clock the Q6600 more with a P45 board too ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
lol I'm trying to be strong. I've put in a couple of offers in the MM, I think that could be the way forward... If I get an i7 setup for just shy of £400 I think we're in business :p

£600 a bit more than I want to spend at the moment really :S

Not a lot of P45 on 2nd hand market so I think it would be £90 for a new board...

Back
Top Bottom