Your longuest surviving HDD...

Associate
I often read lots of questions regarding HDD reliability...What is the longuest surviving HDD in your system?

I still have my beloved 74GB WD Raptor bought in 2005 going strong:D
(knock wood:eek:)

Associate
74 GB Raptor as an OS drive since Dec 2003

38000 power on hours :D
raptor.gif

Associate
I linked to a slightly newer version than the screen shot.
The screen shot was taken using version 3.3.0

Weird how the newer version has lost the Power on hours, all my drives show the power on hours with this version 3.3.0......strange

Soldato
Not had a failed HDD yet thankfully :)

Longest running would probably be my 80 GB barracuda in my old system (past 4 years used only when main rig breaks down, so about 2-3 months in a year?). System's been around since about 2001? Or whenver GeForce 4 just came out :p and lasted solid until then :D

Actually, barring the PSU no single component of the machine has ever broken down. Rock Solid :D Compared to the current 'upgraded' machine which had the PSU, RAM, graphics card, processor and motherboard replaced, lol. Optical drives and HDD are the only ones still going strong :p (74 gb raptor and 320 gb barracuda).

Soldato
I have never ever had a HDD fail on me yet, in the ~10 years I've been using computers.

You've been exceptionally lucky.
In my experience somewhere around 15% of drives are either dead on arrival or die in the first week. After that there's around another 10% chance of failure each year (based roughly on the fact that I have around 10 mechanical drives in the house and at least one fails every year)
This is across many different brands, not just me being a cheapskate.

Moved onto solid state now for my gaming pc, htpc and laptop ... looking forward to significant reliability gains.

As for my longest surviving drive, not counting retired machines in the attic, it's an 80GB Western Digital from 2002 that's been in use across at least 5 different builds.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a Western Digital WD384R (40MB) on a winchester interface date stamped 1988 thats still working fine :D

Back
Top Bottom