PSN goes all Millennium Bug on us

Soldato
What if Sony really are just waiting to see what happens at midnight? What if nothing does happen? Poo pants time.

Full on recall would be on the cards, probably enforced by the EU here.

However i doubt it will happen. I'm of the impression that the issue is caused by the internal hardware clock giving out a different date to what the servers/OS are expecting/allow, as a result the OS spazzes out and gives out the date we're seeing which in turn spazzes out the servers. When the internal hardware clock ticks over to 01/03/10 the servers will recognise the date and it will be able to connect. Of course you'll be prompted with the usual 'your clock is set incorrectly' message which you use the sync feature to fix. Sony then work on a quick firmware patch to fix the issue and bobs your uncle.

[EDIT] My only concern is that i've tried to run Heavy Rain. If the system at some point added a time/date tag to the savegame as soon as it launched to say when it was last executed i could well be dealing with a corrupt savegame tomorrow. Not good.

Last edited:
Soldato
[EDIT] My only concern is that i've tried to run Heavy Rain. If the system at some point added a time/date tag to the savegame as soon as it launched to say when it was last executed i could well be dealing with a corrupt savegame tomorrow. Not good.
Corrupted savegames are indeed a worry, also corrupted trophies and maybe corrupted gamedata.

Then again it might be possible to have a firmware u[date reset the file dates to the correct dates instead of 1/1/2000 ??

I somehow think that if I open my PS3 there is Cyberdyne Systems etched on the chips, lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You wont! All Live data is stored on the PS3 servers, that's like saying if you buy a new PS3 you won't keep your rank.

No, it's like saying if game data has been updated you'll get possible corruption when the units unbunch their knickers (possibly) at midnight.

Shouldn't be an issue for those that haven't had their units on. Might not be for those who have. I'd rather not risk it.

Associate
Ah,

So from reading this, its the internal clock thinking this is a leap year, hence this should only happen every 4 years?

Surely all it would take is an OS fix, so on boot it picks up the date, if its the 29th Feb, then check "is this actually a leap year?"

Boo, wanted to play my ps3 tonight as well.

Soldato
Corrupted savegames are indeed a worry, also corrupted trophies and maybe corrupted gamedata.

Then again it might be possible to have a firmware u[date reset the file dates to the correct dates instead of 1/1/2000 ??

Trophies i can only imagine would be a problem if someone attempted to sync the trophies while suffering from the issue. The failure to launch games is caused by the console attempting to contact the servers to sync trophy data, so the error would have stopped the corruption of the trophies in its tracks (i hope).

Yes a simple firmware update to essentially say 'if date = 'this', change date to 'That'' should work i imagine, but the question is, how long would it take sony to release said update? I for one would rather not have to wait.

Anyways, this is all speculation on my part, only time will tell.

Cross posting on forums but what the heck...

Was just reading the Playstation EU Forums

http://community.eu.playstation.com...onnection-issues-error-8001050F/td-p/10303803

Please note that I am now out of the office until 10AM tomorrow morning.

I'm concerned that some of you are considering removing the internal battery from your PlayStation 3 system. Please do not do this -you risk damaging your console and voiding your warranty, both of which really are not worth it for the sake of a few hours.

Our previous advice still stands: We hope to have the problem solved within 24 hours (about 21 now, if you've been counting :smileytongue:) and you should avoid using your console until then.

I have given my phone number out to everyone who will be "in the know" about further updates on this issue. Our teams across SCE are working flat-out to fix the problem for you. Should anything come through, either myself or one of the moderators on shift tonight will post the update for you.

I'll also be jumping on and checking PSN tonight from midnight with my own console, just in case :smileywink: I'll let you know the results.

As an aside - thank you all for your patience today. I appreciate that it has been frustrating and I am thankful to all of you for keeping the forum tidy and insult free!

The fact that he says "for the sake of a few hours" surely then confirms that Sony believes this will be fixed at midnight right ?

Soldato
Our previous advice still stands: We hope to have the problem solved within 24 hours (about 21 now, if you've been counting :smileytongue and you should avoid using your console until then.

lol :rolleyes:

I mean fair enough but claiming they are solving it, :p

Back
Top Bottom