Only 1.99GB or RAM usable apperently...

Associate
I have recently noticed why my performance is running so low...Only half of my RAM s being recognised, i should have realised this when Windows gave my RAM a rather depressing score of 5.5 (pretty poor for supposedly 2x2GB of DDR3 RAM).

Here is a small list of evidence for my 'missing' RAM:

System:
Installed memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (1.99 usable)

System Information:
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 908 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5.99 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.35 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

Oddly CPUID thinks i have 4096 MB of RAM, Same with DxDiag.

Before anyone mentions it, i have tried different combinations of RAM in different Slots and A1, A2, B2 i dont think work. Should i send the motherboard back of are the socket chips bent, i can't decide!

NOTE: 64 BIT OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Associate
Oddly enough, I was reading similar stories whilst browsing the internet recently and, from memory, the problem was related to a memory mapping option in BIOS.

I've seen this issue resolved by reorganizing the RAM chips into different configurations, ex: 1,2,3,4 to 4,3,2,1 or 3,4,1,2 etc.

Also try:-

To use full 4 GB of RAM on your computer follow the below steps:

1. Click Start and type msconfig.exe

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

2. You get System Configuration dialog box.

3. Select the ‘Boot’ tab.

4. Click Advanced Options.

5. Uncheck the ‘Maximum Memory:” option.

6. Click OK and OK again.

Now, you should be able to use full 4 GB RAM on your computer.

Also, check if you’ve allocated an amount of physical memory dedicated to something else or the memory remapping might not be enabled in BIOS.

Enabling the BIOS REMAP MEMOR function may fix this issue.

Associate
You haven't accidently assinged an awfull lot of ram to the graphics card in the BIOS have you?

I had a cheapo board in my PC at work that just stole 512MB of ram, didn't say what it was for, just "Approriated" and it didn't show up in windows.

Back
Top Bottom