• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

couple of TV card questions

Soldato
many years ago, about 10 maybe i had an analog tv card on my pc
and even with a roof aerial the quality was a bit pants.

i was just wondering with todays cards would the freeview capable cards produce a decent picture like that of a normal freeview TV ?

my next question is when are the freeview HD cards set for release ?

thanks.

Permabanned
I have had several freeview cards
Avoid the compro ones they are utter poop , Hauppauge ones are great
There are no available HD freeview ones yet , because the gits that designed the format
did not want to have backward compatability :(

I use 2 x Hauppauge Nova-S2-HD (freesat HD comp) and 1 x Hauppage Nova-T 500 (dual freeview)
Cards in my media PC in the living room , I watch on a 50" plasma and the PC gives
a way better picture than the tv's internal freeview tuner (smoothed out much better)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can pretty much echo dirk's comments.

Although I wouldn't agree on the compro ones being crap, I've used a fair few of them and had no issues.

I think my old Hauppauge cards did have a better quality though.

I've always found that a decent TV card in a PC will 95% of the time give a better picture quality than a TV's built in tuner.

Associate
I would have thought that pretty much every DVB-T tuner would give the same picture quality. All it's doing is passing the incoming MPEG2 stream to the PC isn't it? The quality is then governed by what codecs and de-interlacing you use.

I would expect pricier card to maybe have faster channel switching and be more tolerant to a poor signal, but it's not worth the premium Hauppage charge for basic DVB-T IMO.

I use a £40 PEAK Dual DVB-T tuner. Works perfectly with Windows 7, MediaPortal and WMC.

Soldato
I agree with dirk and nikebee :)
Compro ones i've used have been fine, T200 iirc is the one my lad is using in his pc right now watching tv via vmce.
Picture quality id really good imho, and thats with my single feed being re-distributed around the house via a loftbox.

Soldato
I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova HD S2 and Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT, both of which work with Win 7 MediaCenter, I think the HD S2 is very good and use them almost every day. My area of the UK has not switched over to digital (Freeview) so the digital transmitter is broadcasting @ reduced power, so sometimes, especially where there is a lot of cloud and heavy rain, the picture of ITVs and Channel 4 can suffer, but the Freesat picture is 1st class...

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies chaps.

these dual freeview tuners: do they only require 1 earial input ?
i have vista so can i record in media centre if i chose to ?
does media centre have an epg ?

is therer anything i should look out for in recording quality?
ie mpeg2 the best ?

Soldato
Some do.. some don't..

I have a Pinnacle PCTV 2000i dual which needs one input
Also a Pinnacle PCTV 3000ix which says it needs one but is happier with two
And a Blackgold BGT3540 which needs one...

"Depends" is the answer ;)

Back
Top Bottom