anybody NOT renewing your Xbox live sub

Soldato
This in not a crying thread it's just i want to see if anyone else feels the same.

I've had my gold account since Xbox360 launched and i've had some good times.
but of late i'm actualy starting to get sick of it.

my main 2 reasons are:
  1. none dedicated servers
  2. cheating

also the friends list doesnt work for me. no one ever seems to be on at the same time and i dont appreciate game invites for another game while playing a different one ect.
going back to about 1997 i used to play quake 1 online and because it had dedicated servers i could just drop in and out at my own pleasure and familular faces were always about :)

cheating has always been around but lately while playing call of duty mw2 for example its bloody stupid.
infact i feel MW2 has pushed me over the edge.
anyone else feel the same ?

Soldato
I haven't had a gold sub in well over a year. It was one of the most difficult experiences trying to cancel it. My router is also in another room to the console ever since, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay £45 for a wireless adaptor. I am aware that you can now cancel the gold subscription very easily via the website, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth that I'm willing to forget about only for very few exceptions (such as Halo: Reach).

I'm sure it's a great service - it's just not practical for a console that demands a wired connection. It's also extremely difficult to justify paying for it when I'm perfectly happy with the PSN and what it offers.

Soldato
ill be cancelling mine and selling my xbox i think... i dont use it at all anymore. since i've discovered how good PS3 is and how much better the PSN is. live gold just is not worth paying for at all when you get the same thing for free elsewhere....

Soldato
mine runs out in May, not re-newing it either because PSN does what i need it for and presently it's free to play online and overall had a better experience on PSN regarding lag that does happen on 360 a lot more.

Soldato
Protip: Stop playing MW2.

Since you can get a 12month sub for £25, its really not that much to ask. £2 a month for a lot of fun.

Also, as a gold member you get money off XBLA games. I'd imagine my Live! sub has paid for itself by now with the games I've bought. In all honesty I rarely play online too.

Associate
This in not a crying thread it's just i want to see if anyone else feels the same.

I've had my gold account since Xbox360 launched and i've had some good times.
but of late i'm actualy starting to get sick of it.

my main 2 reasons are:
  1. none dedicated servers
  2. cheating

That's actually not correct. There are some games with dedicated servers. For example L4D1.

Although I appreciate it's probably fair to say that 'most' games on Live are run on a p2p connection basis.

Personally I don't object to paying the £35 a year for what Live gives me. Although as a TFC'er of many moons ago, I do miss the ASE server finding tools and the flexibility software like that gave you. I like the fact gaming online can be so quick and easy now.

Soldato
well im getting bad company 2 tomoz. maybe that will help :)

Same here. It definitely should. I stopped playing MW2 after awhile cause I just got bored of it and yea you are right the cheating was really annoying (although to be fair it has calmed down a lot since release). :)

Also, as a gold member you get money off XBLA games. I'd imagine my Live! sub has paid for itself by now with the games I've bought. In all honesty I rarely play online too.

For £2 a month its something you may as well have even if you don't play online much. I don't (hopefully will change with BFBC2), the only games i played to death online where COD4 and MW2. Even with their problems, they were worth it and i got my moneys worth out of them.

Soldato
My Live sub ran out at the start of 09. Haven't bothered with it since, most of my mates have PS3s tbf and PSN offers pretty much the exact same service for free and more 1st party titles have dedicated servers.

Soldato
Don't see any of the reasons you've mentioned being Live's fault, poor game/development, lack of friends (or friends that ask invite you to games, what a cheek, lol).. hopefully BC 2 will relight the gaming fire.

Soldato
also the friends list doesnt work for me. no one ever seems to be on at the same time and i dont appreciate game invites for another game while playing a different one ect.

i didnt say it was.

Don't see any of the reasons you've mentioned being Live's fault, poor game/development, lack of friends (or friends that ask invite you to games, what a cheek, lol).. hopefully BC 2 will relight the gaming fire.

I think you referred to it as Jase has also picked out.

Soldato
I've renewed my subscription but I do feel that sooner or later MS won't be able to justify charging for it.
Live on the PC is free,and so is PSN. I know sony have mentioned charging for PSN but,from what I have seen,they won't be charging people to play games online.
I totally agree about dedicated servers.For a service you pay for you SHOULD get dedicated servers for the games you play.

Back
Top Bottom