DNS Issue?

Soldato
For over 24 hours now loads of people have complained/moaned that my website is down and they can't access it.

I can and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ confirms it's up as well but this hasn't stopped people from insisting it's down.

The URL in question is - http://www.nango-gamers.co.uk/forum/

I'm on a Be connection using OpenDNS and as I've said I can access it fine but people on O2, BT, Virgin (cable) and other ISP's insist the website is down.

Can people try the link and tell me if they can access it? If so which ISP are you with?

Alternatively can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Associate
It's a DNS issue, the DNS servers I use (Be/O2's and Level3) won't resolve it, while OpenDNS will. What ISP people are on doesn't really matter, other than it probably dictating which DNS servers they're using. I'd be looking at the name servers you're using if it doesn't sort itself out.

Associate
http://www.intodns.com/nango-gamers.co.uk

Would that suggest there's a problem(s) with my nameservers?

(My mate hosts this for me and I can't contact him so this is all a bit out of my depth)

It's just strange that this problem only surfaced yesterday?!?
Yep it's a problem with the nameservers you're using.

If it was me I'd probably look at using some different nameservers, perhaps something free like ZoneEdit, creating some A records pointing to the webserver hosting your site. That relies on you having control of the domain and being able to change the nameservers.

Man of Honour
Problem seems to be that the name servers listed for your domain nango-gamers.co.uk are

Name servers:
ns1.brumskis.com
ns2.brumskis.com

Neither of which are contactable. Any Name server that has records probably has them in their cache and will lose them soon.

Soldato
Problem seems to be that the name servers listed for your domain nango-gamers.co.uk are

Name servers:
ns1.brumskis.com
ns2.brumskis.com

Neither of which are contactable. Any Name server that has records probably has them in their cache and will lose them soon.

Yep, that's your problem; neither ns1.brumskis.com or ns2.brumskis.com are responding.
I use O2 as my primary DNS server and OpenDNS as my secondary so, as I can get to your site, one of those two must have cached it.

Soldato
OP
Trying to get hold of the host is proving annoying to say the least.

I have access to my 123Reg account where the domain was registered and cpanel. Is there anything I can do to sort this or do I need the host to do it?

Associate
I have access to my 123Reg account where the domain was registered and cpanel. Is there anything I can do to sort this or do I need the host to do it?
Use 123-reg's nameservers and configure the A records yourself.

Go to the 123-reg control panel and to the Change Nameservers page
Set the nameservers to ns.123-reg.co.uk and ns2.123-reg.co.uk
Go to the Manage DNS page
Under the A, CNAME and TXT records section add 2 new entries..
Name @, type A, content 95.154.207.77, which is the IP address OpenDNS resolved your domain name to earlier
Name www, and again type A and content 95.154.207.77

That'll take care of the website. If you used the domain name for any email it's probably easiest to forward it all to a different address in the Email Management options.

Back
Top Bottom