Just recieved a virgin box

Associate
Hi, Virgin called me up a couple days ago and said I was entitled to a media box through the package I was already on with the phone and broadband. I unboxed It today when It turned up but found you need to have a cable connection in your house to access the media box? Does this mean I need to get one of their techies to come and install a connection for me?
I've got sky digital at the moment so I'm not really too clued up on the whole cable thing. Any help appreciated :)

Soldato
Your broadband is definitely ADSL and not cable yea?

It sounds like they sent out Virgins Freeview STB, rather than their cable box 'VBox'. Because it would be strange of them to send you a cable box if you don't have any cable services installed.

Can you get an pictures up of it or find out the make? Does it have an HDMI port at the back?

Associate
OP
We don't have ADSL, we've got broadband and they said that we've got the large package. I checked it out and that includes quite a lot of channels. Minus sky sports/movies etc.
The box looks quite good, samsung model, grey colour, I'll try and get a picture up soon. Theres no HDMI connection, but theres coaxial and scart connectors and ethernet.

Soldato
ADSL is broadband though. Two main types of broadband these days are ADSL which uses a standard phone line as a digital carrier and cable which uses fibre optics. I think virgin can provide either service depending on what is available in your area.

Soldato
Samsung boxes have replaced the old SA V+box's, although it still strange because they don't just send one out without an installer.

I think it must be the Freeview STB if it doesn't have HDMI.

Associate
OP
No problem guys I found the cable connection they installed upstairs with the modem. Now the mission is going to be feeding the wire outside my window, down the outside of my house and back in through the downstairs window....ggah!:eek:
It is wierd they just sent the box out to us and didn't come to install it...strange, ahwell I'm not complaining its free. It's not freeview because theres no aerial connection, and they talked me through the package I'm entitled to.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It's called a wires only install. they sent me a modem, a STB and a router when I signed up with them, with all the cables provided. It saves you having to wait in for an installer if you're competent enough to screw a few simple coaxial cables on.

Back
Top Bottom