2x60Gb ssd or 3x30Gb ssd ?

Associate
Comes to roughly the same price, but i was thinking i would get more performance out of the 3 vertex's than i would the 2 Corsairs? what do people think? (going raid0 on a ich10 mb)

3x OCZ Vertex Series 30GB
- Capacity: 30GB
- Cache: 64MB
- Read: Up to 230MB/sec
- Write: Up to 135MB/sec
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-013-OC

2x Corsair Reactor 60GB
- Capacity: 60GB
- Cache: 128MB
- Maximum Read: 250MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 110MB/sec
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-008-CS

Associate
OP
why? why not?

I've been running 2x ocz corev2 30Gb drives for a year or so now nice and quick but i wanted something faster for load times and gaming. Also i have a media pc i want to swap the corev2's into.

Soldato
well because of no TRIM support on RAID I wouldn't do it.

You'll lose the speed of the drive.

One of my old SSD drives that I have atm with no TRIM support is now badly performing.

EDIT if you get intel SSDs and RAID them then you can TRIM them still manually.

Last edited:
Soldato
3 is the number - or that is what the few multi SSD reviews have said
a forth is where deminishing returns start to really bite.

Personally if it's a OS drive a single intel's is leaps ahead.
swap your two corev2 to an 80 or 120 intel

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the only benefit of RAID SSDs improved sequential reads and writes which basically means moving files? If you want faster system/OS performance you're better off getting one good drive like the Intels with better performance in random reads and writes?

Am I on the right track?

Permabanned
What are the reasons. I can only think of a few:

No TRIM support in RAID
Overhead from RAID steals CPU
Resale value

It doesn't just steal from CPU, it adds additional latency. It's the lack of latency that makes SSD's fast.

I had 3x Vertex and I would choose 160gb x25-m every day of the week.
Anyway you can choose to listen or not listen, guess you will find out for yourself.

Permabanned
Isn't the only benefit of RAID SSDs improved sequential reads and writes which basically means moving files? If you want faster system/OS performance you're better off getting one good drive like the Intels with better performance in random reads and writes?

Am I on the right track?

IOPS is a bit of a myth, as deskop tasks don't get past a cue depth of 8 anyway.
The #1 factor is access time, which can help to increase IOPS which explains some of the confusion.
But Yes raid only improves sequentials.
With the x25-m to get getter OS performance than a single drive (loading apps etc) it takes 4 drives before ANY benefits are realised.

Associate
OP
so if i am looking for a fast os drive that i will also want to put warhammer online, onto i should stick with a fast single drive rather than going raid0 ?

looking for fastest read of files for gaming (loading maps / textures the like)

Permabanned

I have tested this personally with 3 Vertex's and a single x25-m. They were about the same with maybe the x25 VERY slightly edging out my 3x Vertex's.

I have since sold my Vertex's on for this reason.

Associate

What are you wanting to write? I don't think you will see much difference, from all the reviews the Intels are much more suited to running your OS on and gaming than others, unless you're moving around large files... which you don't sound like you will be?

I'm looking at going for the Intel myself, just got to find a good price.

Associate
just a little worried about the 70mb/s write on the X25-M 80Gb drive... seems quite low compared to the other ssd's.

The majority of the time you will be reading from the drive, not writing to it, so its better to go for a drive with higher reads in my opinion.

Im running 2 Vertex's in RAID 0 and love them, I'd say definately faster than a single Vertex (loading games at least). For just messing with small programs and running the OS though, you probably are better with one of the faster reading drives. Would love to try out one of the Intels but really dont have the spare cash at the mo :(

Back
Top Bottom