Covering Letter

Soldato
I've spent some of today updating my CV, well more so addressing it to the relevant industry that I intend to seek employment within. (Fitness Industry as a Personal Trainer). It a career that's not relevant to my degree (Bespoke Furniture) but a passion that has taken over and transformed my life. I'm doing all the required & more qualifications along side my degree to get me going in the industry.

When I'm home for Easter I plan on handing out CV's to local gyms near to me. Ideally I'd like to find out who I should address the covering letters too for each location.

My question:

What exactly do you include in your covering letter?

So far I have:

Position
Position type: temporary/permenant
Brief summary of relevant qualifications (briefly explained that I'm studying for PT qualification at current)
The date I'm seeking employment from
Relevant experience
Thank you for considering bla bla etc etc

I will check nearer the time if there are an available positions in which case position applied for will be more specific.

It's quite tough to write a 'generic' cover letter and I'm not sure exactly, if at all, how much detail I should be going into about how I'm suited for the job?

All help appreciated,

BennyC

Edit: Guess I better bung what I have so far up here:

4th March 2010

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am currently seeking a permanent Gym Instructor or Personal Trainer positon.

For the last 6 months, along side my degree, I have been obtaining qualifications to allow myself a career with in the fitness industry. I’m eager to learn and this list of qualifications is forever growing. I am currently Level 2 qualified and will be partaking in my Personal Trainer modules at weekends during June & July, hoping to be qualified in August.

I am seeking employment from the 7th of June 2010.

Whilst I have no previous employed experience in the industry I have been an avid trainer and fitness fanatic for 3 years now. I have ‘unofficially’ coached friends, family & acquaintances at university so am not unfamiliar in this territory.

I would like to thank you in advance for your time and considering my application. I look forward to meeting with you to discuss any available positions you may have for me.

Yours faithfully,

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am currently seeking a permanent Gym Instructor or Personal Trainer position.

For the last 6 months, alongside my degree, I have been obtaining qualifications with the intention of pursuing a career within the fitness industry. I’m eager to learn and this is reflected in my determination to gain qualifications and experience. I am currently Level 2 qualified and will be partaking in my Personal Trainer modules at weekends during June & July, I am hoping to qualify in August.

I am seeking employment from the 7th of June 2010.

Whilst I have no previous employed experience in the industry I have been an avid trainer and fitness fanatic for 3 years now. I have ‘unofficially’ coached friends, family & acquaintances at university so I can call on this experience.

I would like to thank you in advance for your time in considering my application. I look forward to meeting with you to discuss any available positions you may have for me.

Yours faithfully,

I've gone through and edited it a bit for style, however feel free to ignore if it doesn't scan as you want it to. The basic idea seems fine to me, just a few things I would have written differently and I've highlighted most of them in bold to make it easy for you to check. Good luck with the job hunt.

Back
Top Bottom